Author Topic: Sales Tax on Tickets?  (Read 2026 times)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Sales Tax on Tickets?
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »
This week’s edition of The Free Press (Rockland ME) has an article on p 6 under the heading “Eye on Augusta” about the debate over the tax plans of Governor LePage and the Democrats in the legislature.

Under the topic “List of New Sales Taxes that LePage and the Democratic Party agree on” is the category “Recreation and amusement services,” Including: “Scenic and sight-seeing excursions including aircraft, helicopter, balloon, blimp, watercraft, railroad, bus, trolley and wagon rides, whitewater rafting and guided recreation.”

The article does mention that the bipartisan Taxation Committee unanimously voted to continue exempting, among other things, museum tickets. Even if that exemption survives, I doubt that our museum could escape having to collect sales tax on train ride tickets, since that is the only thing at the museum for which a visitor has to buy a ticket.

Here is the link to the complete article:

http://www.freepressonline.com/main.asp?ArticleID=38196&SectionID=96&SubSectionID=541

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Sales Tax on Tickets?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I guess it all depends on the wording of the bill, ie how they define "museum tickets".

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:22:14 PM »
Even worse....the museum's patrons would have to pay an entertainment tax if we brought in clowns and ventriloquists!

Keith

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »
...if we brought in clowns...
It's not a matter of "if"... I'm sure some of us count already.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »
Uh oh, I hear the Whimsical Weirdness and Foolery warning buzzer……….or did you accidentally lean on the button, Ed?  ;D