Author Topic: Baldwin 0-10-0s of the Gejiu Jijie 2ft branch between in Yunnan province China  (Read 3102 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
This link will take you to some good pictures of the branch in its later years.

http://www.kurogane-rail.jp/yunnan/esl23_p0.html

Best Regards,
Glenn

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Great find! I remember seeing a write-up on this operation in an issue of Locomotive and Railway Preservation magazine (I think that's the publication's name) back in the late 80's or early 90's. They are handsome brutes and their Baldwin lineage is quite evident. I wonder if any have survived? And also I am most enjoyable of the translation from Japanese.

Thanks, Glenn! 

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
My understanding is that three of these 0-10-0s have been preserved, one (No. 23) in Beijing and two (Nos. 26 and 29) in Shanghai.

Field trip to China anyone? :)

P.S. I agree with John, the Japanese-to-English text translation is most enjoyable.
"Just you saw only this photograph you can not believe that this locomotive is 2ft gauge." !!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:10:24 AM by Philip Marshall »

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
"But the man who is fishing are real Chinese man!"
Couldn't have said it better myself!
They appear to have air operated fire doors and screw reverse. At 45 tons, they're up there in the steel mill 0-4-0T weight class!

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Reminds me of an item in Readers Digest many, many years ago, about a man from China who was upset about something that went awry on an American train. His outburst ended with, "You no more fit run railroad than God's sake. That's all I hope."