Author Topic: Relocating update to Gray?  (Read 9721 times)

Hansel Fardon

• Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: Relocating update to Gray?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 01:03:10 AM »
Most MNG volunteers are incapable of track crew. And even if the railroad announced a track work session, only a half dozen (at the most) would show up.

Is hiring expensive? Yes, but I'm not the boss, just the messenger.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 01:14:17 AM »
"Here is a drawing they have attached to their appeal."

A bit of overkill, I think.

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 01:21:25 AM »
Will trains arrive and depart from both levels?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 01:30:23 AM »
I tend to agree Wayne, but this is what they put out there, so just thought I'd share. If I could figure how to share the video, I would do so as well.

As far as track work, that is easily taught to anyone willing to do a little manual labor. There is a sense of pride that goes along with doing.
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment

Andre Anderson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 04:00:33 AM »
And from what I've heard, track layers will be hired. But I'm sure me or Bill would let you know when they're ready!
We'll be happy to quote them a fair price. ;)
-John

I think that would be a win win situation, the WW&F makes a little money and they get track.

Andre

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 04:21:56 AM »
My remark was meant in jest. I think that we should train a few of their guys (Hans Brandes, Hansel Fardon, etc.) at one of our track laying sessions and then dispatch a team of our guys to help them get started at their site. Many of us at each railroad are members at, and donors to, both railroads. The success of both railroads brings more national and international visitors to both railroads.

-John

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:55 PM »
Understandable Hansel, but in my honest opinion here, Maine Narrow Gauges future relies on volunteers doing manual labor to the track, especially since that is what the train runs on. I can remember the times I showed up to do track work, and every one looking at me like I was crazy, and had just said a nasty word. Is track work fun, no. But hiring a track crew every time work needs to be done will be to costly. A few years ago it was like pulling teeth to get 6 guys to come out and work with the contractors.

Just my two cents worth, but I think its time that  MNG starts making it a policy that those who are under the age of 50 should help do something else besides train crew. This is my biggest  reason on why I don't have an interest in going there. Because all any one wants to do is play trains and not work. The only actual workers there are the steam team and a few wood workers.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:28:18 PM by Joe Fox »

Hansel Fardon

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »
Joe, I agree. If I was the boss, MNG would look a lot like the WW&F. However, they are more concerned about running trains and making money than doing track work and restoration. With a new director and operations manager, I think next year (2015) will be better, as they are trying to come up with a track bugdet.

And for thoses of you who don't know, I come up to the WW&F work weekends (as I'm a regular volunteer) and actually LIKE track crew. It helps when you get to work with the greatest guys and girls around!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 01:05:05 AM »
MNG is going to get a big surprise when they start looking for railroad contractors to build track for them. If they can get anyone to bid, I'm betting the cost will run over $100 per track-foot. The labor cost is going to be out of this world, as most track contractors are mechanized to a great extent, and there is very little two-foot gauge track machinery on this side of the Atlantic. Therefore, they will have to depend on manual labor to get the job done. Instead of half a dozen men to operate track machines, they will need twice as many men to manhandle ties and rail, not to mention surfacing the track. This is gonna be interesting......

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 04:38:58 PM »
I think $100/lf is being very conservative

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 07:16:20 PM »
I think that is fairly realistic up here. A surfacing crew with tamper and regulator charge $1.50 per foot. To actually lay the track almost all by hand I would estimate to be around $300,000 for the labor, and tools such as air compressor, hydro pump, etc to build 2 miles of track.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 07:29:17 PM »
That's about $28/ft.

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 10:31:45 PM »
How soon must MNG vacate Portland?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 12:40:03 AM »
Thirty years ago, I had a track contractor doing repairs to track already in place, and the cost in 1984 was around $35 a foot. That's about $80 today, based on inflation. Like I said, for new track construction, it will be at least $100 a track foot.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 01:36:46 AM »
Unfortunately, due to their volunteer base they have, this is what they must do. I can understand the reasoning.
Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment