W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
May 25, 2017, 04:03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: This train goes to 11.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating update to Gray?  (Read 8741 times)
Joe Fox
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »

Any more word on relocating to Gray? When track laying is going to begin, please post something here. If it is a day when not much is going on at the WW&F, a few of us may be able to come over to help you build some track.
Hansel Fardon
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 01:58:25 AM »

I'm sure the Directors will have all the news stations report it when the time comes.
The yard and buildings have been mapped out, but they've been working at a slow pace to make sure everything turns out alright. The plan is to have a Wye coming out of the station, and a turntable at the other end, similar to TVRM's set up.

And from what I've heard, track layers will be hired. But I'm sure me or Bill would let you know when they're ready!

Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 02:10:24 AM »

Hired? I hate to ask how much that will cost.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:22:29 AM »

Hence the need for $6 million before they can move. 
John McNamara
Operating Volunteers
Dispatcher

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:28:23 AM »

And from what I've heard, track layers will be hired. But I'm sure me or Bill would let you know when they're ready!
We'll be happy to quote them a fair price. Wink
-John
Wayne Laepple
Museum Member
Dispatcher

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:33:18 AM »

Don't laugh. Our friends at the Puffing Billy Railway in Australia have hired themselves out to two or three other railway museums to build or repair track and turned a nice profit to the Puffing Billy to further its goals. Might be worth considering, especially since we have the only two-foot gauge tamper on this side of the Atlantic.
Mark Spremulli
Museum Member
Switchman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 02:41:32 AM »

I'm sure the Directors will have all the news stations report it when the time comes.
The yard and buildings have been mapped out, but they've been working at a slow pace to make sure everything turns out alright. The plan is to have a Wye coming out of the station, and a turntable at the other end, similar to TVRM's set up.

What else you can say about the yard layout, Hansel? It sounds interesting.
Hansel Fardon
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:22:36 AM »

The plan is to have a 2 story station. museum/gift shop on bottom, offices on top. There's so much buildings planned, I couldnt tell you at the top of my head. However, there will be buildings dedicated for shops and housing equipment. This also includes a roundhouse and turntable! If all goes as planned, it will be quite a sight.
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 06:10:12 PM »

The plan is to have a Wye coming out of the station, and a turntable at the other end, similar to TVRM's set up.

So the turntable will be at the station/museum and the wye will be at the other end of the line?

I really hope the donors come forward to make this possible. It sounds amazing.
Hansel Fardon
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 06:50:11 PM »

Nope. The plan is to have 2 turntables. One at the roundhouse and one at the end of track. Trains will arrive and depart the station via wye.
Philip Marshall
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »

Nope. The plan is to have 2 turntables. One at the roundhouse and one at the end of track. Trains will arrive and depart the station via wye.

Wow, that's even more impressive than I'd thought! Thank you for the clarification.
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:42:22 PM »

Any blueprints available?
Bill Piche
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »

The only current site plan for the grounds that I'm aware of is hanging up in the break room at the museum.

Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:35 PM »

Here is a drawing they have attached to their appeal.

* MNGRR.jpg (18.13 KB, 470x245 - viewed 273 times.)

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Joe Fox
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »

Professional track layers will cost a lot of money. Please keep in mind that there are plenty of guys around with track building experience who may be able to help build track. A rough figure to have a contractor come in would be around $4,000-$8,000 per week depending on if they need to bring or rent machines. That is a big chunk of money. Personally, I think it would be nice to try and use volunteer labor with a good leader. Try to organize track laying weekends a couple of times and see how it goes. At the WW&F, with no machines, our record was 1200' in a weekend.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: