Author Topic: FS&K Railbed  (Read 4885 times)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
FS&K Railbed
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:11:17 PM »
Rereading Jones, 'Two Feet to Tidewater' and see picture p.75 labeled as "spans the Sandy River at New Sharon". I think this is in error.  Sure looks like the abutments we still see today over Muddy Brook along Route 2. Can't find any info on the Sandy River Crossing yet.  Did have a breakfast meeting in Mercer this morning and met a man who says he has picture info on railbed work in the Mile Hill Region of New Sharon.  He is searching now for the pix.  If this is found it may be some original info about work East of the Sandy.  I have now found and purchased a copy of Ben and Natalie Butler's booklet "Farmington Falls-Where Farmington Began" which has a picture of the completed Railway Station at Farmington Falls.  I'm planning to visit the Alna Museum soon and will bring this along.  Maybe we can find a way to make the photos available as there is also a pix of the approach to Farmington at Abbott Hill (near Cumberland Farms location).  I've put out a call to the New Sharon Historical Society for any tidbits they might know of. 

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: FS&K Railbed
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 10:46:55 PM »
Great news. Please keep us posted.

As far as Jones' pic, you are correct. Pg. 211 in Two Feet Between the Rails has the same shot. But it does not say it crosses the Sandy River. This was taken from the old highway which is now a town road. The Newer Route 2 now passes over the river behind the abuttments.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: FS&K Railbed
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 06:11:45 PM »
Hi, Visited the Museum a couple weeks ago, paid my dues, and left a picture of the newly completed FS&K Railroad Station at Farmington Falls from the Butler book of 1976 along with some other materials.  Been hoping to see the picture on this site, but we may be tangled up with legalities.  Also just purchased "The History of Mercer, Maine 1782-1974" by Harold Owens Smith (1977).  Inside on p. 122-123 is a very detailed description of the surveyed route of the Franklin and Kennebec Rail Road Company done about 1848 by F.W. Lander.  Though this is an earlier company than the FS&K, and it is a route from Augusta to Farmington, it may contain at least some of what was used 50 years later when work was really started.  If there is any interest in seeing the whole surveyed description I'll copy it.  Also there are copies of this book available at Mercer Town Office for $15 paid to Mercer Historical Society. Glenn  Byron