Author Topic: January 2015 Work Planning  (Read 15576 times)

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
Re: January 2015 Work Planning
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 06:07:42 PM »
OK, Even Google didn't help much.
What's a perlin, or purlin? I assume it's not a happy cat?  :D
Please help us non-structural folks to understand.
Gawdon

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 06:33:36 PM »
Purlins are horizontal braces that run between the posts.  They give you a place to nail the vertical board sheathing.  The shop addition (for one example) has this type of construction.

Start

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 10:48:35 PM »
Work done on Saturday Jan 17:

* Trees - Fred felled 5 trees that were "threatening" to fall on the car barn, plus a few more.  The wood was cut, loaded in the tractor and dropped near the wood shed.
* Phone lines - Mike did some digging to bury phone lines with the Kubota.   Not much because frozen ground + ice on the ground made for tough digging.
* Restrooms - Zack installed two extra storage tanks in the restrooms.  During Christmas there wasn't quite enough pressure in the lines to keep one of the toilets on each side from constantly flushing.  Zack thinks the extra storage will keep the pressure up.
* Shop rearranging - Mike, Stewart, and Brendan moved the air compressor into the boiler room, then rotated the Bridgeport around and put it where the air compressor was.
* Firewood - Firewood had been dumped between Bay 1 track and the run around, and was blocking both.  So Dwight, Hansel, myself, Bill R, and Dave B moved it to a pile north of the wood shed.  Should be enough to keep two steam engines happy in 2015.

My car read 1 degree above zero this morning when I arrived and about 15 when I left this afternoon.  Between my heavy wool socks, long johns, insulated pants, and 3 layers of jackets and heavy hat and hoods I stayed pretty warm when I was outside.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:45 PM »
Planed work week of Jan 19:

Run lubrication lines on no 9.

Continue crosshead pin fitting, crosshead gib fitting, crosshead gib plate fitting.  Measure for and order piston rings. 

Make piston rod bearings. Make jig to pour metallic packing rings.  Maybe pour rings if we get that far.

Do an initial lay out of main rods and develop a repair and fitting plan.  (Proceed with plan).

Probably some other stuff too...

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 12:38:27 AM »
My car read 1 degree above zero this morning when I arrived...

James arrived before Kielbasa Dave and I did.  When we pulled in the lot at around 7.40, my car read -2.  The lowest temp. we saw on the way up this morning was in the Scarborough area around 6.20:  -5.  A couple of us noticed with the snow on the ground, if we stepped in the heated restroom building for a few moments, then back out onto the concrete floor of the covered entrance, our boots would stick to the floor as the melted snow instantly refroze.

James and I also spent a brief time relearning the alphabet sorting some of the letter sets for the signboard outside the restroom building. 

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 05:52:53 AM »
Couple pictures of the results from last Saturday's activities.

The wood pile in the yard.

The bridgeport turned around and moved into the air compressors's old location. The air compressor was moved into the boiler room.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 12:18:58 PM »
Anticipated work for the weekend of January 24-25:

Wednesday
* Mike is showing up this morning at the Museum with a trailer to put the railcar in it, then returning home.

Thursday
* Mike heads to Springfield with the trailer, arriving late morning/early afternoon and will unload the railcar in the Mallory building.  Stewart and others will be there.

Friday
* Springfield show sales table set up.

Saturday
* Day 1 of the Springfield show.
* Loco 9 - Jason will be around working on boiler insulation and other stuff
* Tree cutting - Fred will be around to run the chain saw if anyone's interested.
* Caboose party - Steve Z is overseeing a birthday party in the caboose.  Note that there's no train running!

Sunday
* Day 2 of Springfield.
* At the end of the day the railcar and sales tables are packed up.

Later (Monday?)
* Mike returns the railcar to Sheepscot.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 12:57:00 PM »
A bit more on the Big E Show -

* Thursday we will be building a short section of track at our display site and unloading RC4 with ramp track.  Anyone who can help please go to the Mallary building south room, section 142.  Start time depends on when Mike arrives with the truck but should be prior to 10am.  Most of the model layouts are set up in Mallary on Thursday afternoon.

* Friday - Dealer and layout set up continues and it's the first open day for the public attending the clinics in Mallary.  If Friday is like last year with the dairy car, it will be very busy with lots of people visiting our exhibit.  

* Saturday and Sunday are the two full days of the show where all 4 buildings are open to the public.  Our gift shop sales tables are in the Young Building, section 78 if anyone is available to help.  We will have a new credit card reader running through a droid phone so it will be  a good experience for the sales team.   The RC4 display will be busy since we are located right next to the main entrance of the Mallary main hall.  The railcar crew plans a few special things such as turning the railcar.  The demonstration may be done at the top of each hour, listen for an announcement over the shows PA system.  

We hope to see many of you there.    
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:06:14 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
Stewart,
Thanks for the info. I plan to be there tomorrow to assist in the unloading. I also will be part of the team for the entire weekend at the table site.
Duncan

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
Has anyone tested this "new credit card reader running through a droid phone" and developed a "cheat sheet" for its operation?

-John
Table crew member Saturday and Sunday

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 12:06:14 AM »
Model T being loaded up for trip out to the Big E.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 01:04:54 AM »
Looks easy when you see it in the pictures...
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 03:28:19 AM »
The photos didn't show the signage on the side of the truck. Is it RowMow Hauling & Rigging, LLC?

Hansel Fardon

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
Looks easy when you see it in the pictures...

At least you didn't have to cut the pilot off.  :)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 10:20:23 AM »
RCT (Rail car transport) departed Auburn at 0515
Mike
Doing way too much to list...