Author Topic: 2014 Victorian Christmas  (Read 20979 times)

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: 2014 Victorian Christmas
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 02:56:41 AM »
Anyway, my thought it to keep No. 52 at Alna Center, cut the road engine off at the south switch and duck into the siding, while No. 52 drops down the main and pulls the train that last hundred feet into the station. Then the steam engine couples to the south end, ready to go. Diesel cuts off and waits until the next trip. Repeat as necessary. Every trip is steam hauled!

When does steam servicing occur? If the answer is that there's two steamers, do the power swap the same way we do it now, but using two steamers. If there's only one steamer, it will need servicing, hence the present use of 52 as the alternate power.
-John

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 03:08:07 AM »
It would work the way it does now. No. 9 would arrive back at Sheepscot, and No. 10 would couple to the north end of the train. When No. 10 has cleared out, No. 9 would receive service and take on water, then await No. 10's return. No. 10 would cut away at the south end, and No. 9 would couple to the north end, ready to go. When it has cleared, No. 10 would receive service and take water. Etc., etc., etc.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 03:57:29 AM »
I guess the beauty of that scheme is that one does not need the full length of the AC runaround.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 05:18:26 AM »
First want to congratulate everyone on putting together an event that has become even more wonderful over the years. Most impressive was that, even considering how excellent it was, we were back at the drawing board this morning reflecting on what went well and what could be improved. What a class act!

I also want to thank all of you who I got to spend time with this weekend-my "family" away from home- spending time with you all was a wonderful Christmas present.

Merry Christmas,
Steve

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 07:56:45 AM »
Just my opinion, but I think running two steam engines for a free event is a bit much. You are just doubling your operating costs, and in reality, won't gain anything extra out of it. It would be fun and very enjoyable, but with current staffing, very impractical. From my perspective during the peak time there was just enough people to manage the crowd and keep things moving safely.

And has there been any thought on maybe advertising the event is by donation instead of just saying its free?

More food for thought for not just this event, but other big ones such as Easter, is maybe a crew schedule so that any job that needs to be filled is filled and any job to be done is done in advance and not at the last second. This can help us appear more organized.

Overall I think we do very well with these events, but have room for improvement.

Track laborer, roadmaster, general laborer, and much more.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2014, 10:51:06 AM »
Per Waynes idea, dropping the train on the main for the 52 to grab and finish hauling into the station may lead to confusion among patrons, and add a few minutes to the trip. Not much time but it could add some. Another great idea though, and should be considered.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
A picture taken by one of my coworkers.  This was the line about 11 AM, between the first and second 5-car trains.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
I'd like to point out that upon arrival many people were asking where to buy tickets and how much they cost. They were delighted to find out that they were free of charge, as a thank you for the community. What I think it does indicate, is that there is a interest in other events and people are willing to pay for them. This should be explored further.

Steve

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »
Just my opinion, but I think running two steam engines for a free event is a bit much. You are just doubling your operating costs, and in reality, won't gain anything extra out of it.

Since #9 is 50% bigger than #10, I suspect that the operating costs of running both 9 and 10 would be 2.5X current costs, rather than 2X.

More food for thought for not just this event, but other big ones such as Easter, is maybe a crew schedule so that any job that needs to be filled is filled and any job to be done is done in advance and not at the last second. This can help us appear more organized.

I'm sure that Jason did this, at least for the train crew positions. I know that he and I discussed my role as Alna Center station agent several day in advance, so I expect that most other positions were also anticipated. The 0900 meeting was mostly a refresher course and an opportunity to greet the troops, especially new fathers. ;D

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
John, I think Joe might be referring not to operations personnel, but the other volunteers making things happen at VC.

For example, many visitors came away requesting hot beverages at Alna Center because of the extended time spent outside. There was a concern that there would not be enough volunteers to accomplish this but, if it was figured out somewhat ahead of time, it could help make something like that more feasible.

Steve

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 09:49:56 PM »
For refreshments at Alna Center, perhaps a local Boy Scout or Girl Scout troop could become involved to man a table. A couple of those 10-gallon insulated drink units such as used at football games could be borrowed or rented.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
I would like to continue discussions in the members section
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Josh Botting

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2014, 02:27:08 AM »
All,

I posted the Ulocal notice, seemed like a good idea.

As for the refreshments, we went through over 20 gallons of coco, and 12 gallons of cider, its a lot of work.

Merry Christmas to all

jkb