Author Topic: New Hampshire Two footer proposed in 1893.  (Read 7597 times)

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: New Hampshire Two footer proposed in 1893.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 12:29:54 AM »
Wow, thank you Eric. I had not heard of this proposal before. It's a shame it wasn't built.

I, for one, think we should revive the term "Mansfield System" as a synonym for two-foot gauge. It has such a wonderful Victorian elegance to it
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 02:16:39 AM by Philip Marshall »

Eric Larsen

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 09:24:14 AM »
I'm guessing one of the reasons it wasn't built because it didn't go any place that other lines didn't already go except for Washington, NH.  Looking at the topographical maps and trying to figure out it's possible route one sees that it basically duplicates the Peterboro and Hillsboro RR for the first half and then heads off towards Washington, NH. That second more northerly section would be the only unique part of the line as far as service goes and would presumably comes out of Antrim going N-W through Stoddard to reach Washington. 
If you have ever been in this area and know the railroads that were there it sure would have had some interesting company but I would bet that the folks in Washington were the main drivers for the proposal.  It is a beautiful area but it is getting way up into the hills and it would have had to have been a dead end line without possibilities for future expansion or any through route further north.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 12:56:45 PM »
There was also the proposed North Conway & Mt Kearsarge RR, chartered in 1884. George Mansfield was listed as Superintendent.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.