Author Topic: September 2014 work planning  (Read 8190 times)

John Stone

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Re: September 2014 work planning
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »
Those fellows at ROWMOW are certainly a tallented bunch and I'm certain they could concoct a beautiful ballast sweeper. The only fly I see in the ointment is: I never saw alot of used airhoses at the WW&F!

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
At the rate we debate about doing things (like a regulator/broom), we will have finished building the railroad to Albion.  K.I.S.S.!  Simple rotary broom.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 03:35:33 AM by Ken Fleming »

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2014, 09:16:52 PM »
We have several members whom are railroaders in their regular jobs, any maintenance shop usually has a bin where they are thrown or go directly into the dumpster as they have no salvage value unless their own track dept needs to replace some hoses on their regulators.  I don't think there will be a problem in getting a supply.  Also realize that a regulator can do much more than "sweeping".  A unit similar to a Kershaw can also plow snow, side grade, and ditch with their wings.  Many units also have a hydraulic turntable similar to our Model T so bi-directional use is also a player.  Food for thought.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Trainmaster
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2014, 11:38:59 PM »
Work done on Saturday Sept 27:

* Car shed prep: Zack started work to prep for the new car shed, the corners of which were established/finalized during the week. 
* Work weekend prep: Fred retrieved the containers of spikes from near the section house and moved them, since there won't be any other access to the section house by tractor until after the car shed is done.
* Fall Festival: We had 171 ticket holders, the most we've had since we started the FF in 2010.  Good turnout.  The bluegrass pickin' party was attended by 8 or 10 pickers, over the course of the day.  A large group of them showed up early-afternoon, so it was sounding really good for the 2:30 train.  We ran to AC for the day, with the last train (loaded with the pickers) going to the end while Dana (engineer) looked over the work.  While we were waiting for him to come back they struck up the song "Waiting for the train".