Author Topic: 3 foot gauge in Ireland  (Read 3546 times)

Terry Church

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
3 foot gauge in Ireland
« on: August 02, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
Does anyone have any current information on some apparently closed Heritage Railways in the Republic of Ireland? I'll be passing by two of the old lines this October, spending one night near Castlegregory Junction on the Tralee and Dingle Light Railway. Apparently the museum in Tralee stopped operations in 2009, any static displays still around? The following morning we will be driving through Kilrush, Kilkee, and Moyasta Junction where the West Clare Railway terminated. There had been a section of restored track and heritage operations, but their website only listed events for 2013. Have they also closed or is their website just behind the times?  Thanks.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: 3 foot gauge in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
Hi Terry,

I don't have any current information to offer but I will be very interested to hear what you find. The 2009 financial crisis hit Ireland very hard, and I expect Irish narrow gauge operations have been especially badly affected because of their rural locations far from larger towns and the usual tourist attractions. It's a sad situation.

In the world of Irish broad gauge (5'3") however I understand this is the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, and there are various special events including mainline steam excursions happening both in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland throughout the year.

Best regards,
Philip Marshall