Author Topic: Railroads cars to leave Bridgton for Gray  (Read 31993 times)

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Railroads cars to leave Bridgton for Gray
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:36:48 AM »
Hi Folks,

Just saw the following notice in The Bridgton News.

http://www.bridgton.com/say-goodbye-to-railroad-cars/

Best Regards,
Glenn

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Railroads cars to leave Bridgton for Gray
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »
Hi Glen,

I had heard mention of this about 2 weeks ago but was not sure if or when. I was also told about 2 years ago they had to be moved anyway because they were under a High Voltage Transmission line and the power company wanted them moved.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:14:28 PM »
So this will be the second (and likely the last) time that Bridgton has lost its railroad.  What a shame.

Richard

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
Hi Folks,

Here is a link to a commentary in this week's Bridgton News by Mike Corrigan lauding the effort undertaken by Bill Shelley and "Return of the Rails" to return the B&SR equipment to the town of Bridgton.

http://www.bridgton.com/news-comment-farewell-to-the-rails/

I, for one, am proud to have supported Bill's effort and fervently hoped that we could have aligned the stars to bring it to pass.  Sadly this didn't happen.  But I'm glad we tried.  Thanks, Bill ... THREE HUZZAHS my friend!

LONG LIVE THE MAINE TWO FOOTERS!!!!

Best Regards,
Glenn

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01:17 AM »
Maybe we should have offered to move and store these cars on the WW&F and use them for some great photo ops.

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »
You know, I don't think that doing up a section of the B&SR is still impossible... Just made more difficult without authentic equipment. 8 isn't doing anything, but would be expensive to run, and who knows what MNGRR wants to do with her (although, someone else paying to move a few pieces and take them off their hands might make their moving costs to Grey go down)...

Assuming that you chose two points on the line where there are things to do, it could be used as actual transportation in addition to serving as a museum. Just price it right and on operating days, make the schedule convenient for the traveling public.

Obviously there is only x-amount of narrow gauge equipment to go around, and infrastructure to maintain and house at least one locomotive and two coaches would be needed first and foremost... The section to be restored could be cleared for a trail first, making getting tracks in somewhat easier... Just move the trail once the tracks go in. Then there's just the fact of getting funding to cover supplies and movement of equipment, capital to start operations, etc.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile