W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
June 23, 2017, 02:54:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Great things in store at the WW&F.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: June 2017 Work Planning  (Read 3090 times)
Terry W. Shirley
Museum Member
Switchman

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 02:56:42 AM »

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here, but can you guys please explain what a 5-8-5 hole pattern in a joint bar looks like?  I am trying to visualize how the holes are laid out with the numerical reference. Thanks in advance.
Joe Fox
Museum Member
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2017, 03:38:39 AM »

Hey Terry, a joint bar with a 5-8-5 spacing has the larger distance between holes between the two rails. Bolts 1 & 2 are 5" center to center, bolts 2 & 3 are 8" center to center (where the two rails meet) and bolts 3 & 4 are 5" center to center. Hope this helps.
Bill Reidy
Museum Member
Fireman

Life member

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2017, 03:39:46 AM »

Hi Terry.  The bar has four bolt holes.  Five inches between the centers of the first two and last two, and eight inches for the middle two.
Bill Baskerville
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2017, 04:50:08 AM »

Terry,

The rail hole spacing issue has been a minor yet nagging problem for us for many years.  It was caused by our having so many different sources of rails with different hole patterns over the years.  This issue is compounded by the different weights of rails used over the same period.  The worse problem usually occurred when we mated rails with different patterns and there are no joint bars that fit both patterns.  The solution was to drill a new hole in one, or both of the mating rail ends.  Using the old hand crank drill was very time consuming so the then quick solution was to pick the closest possible bar match and only use three bolts instead of four.

Since Dwight bought the new Honda powered rail drill, really an annular cutter, we can match drill rail ends jolly quick.  At last count I know of only 15 joint bars North of the Sheepscot Yard Limits that have only three bolts.  One of my upcoming projects this summer is to match drill and install those remaining missing bolts.

Then, as Joe knows, we also need to change the joint bars that are made for heavier weight rails on the inside gauge so the wheel flanges don't hit them.  Then of course there are the deteriorating ties needing replacement.  Then there is ROW grass cutting and weed control, and probably a few other things that become harder to keep up with as our EOT moves further North from Sheepscot.

If only we got younger and more fit instead of older and, hopefully wiser.

Bill
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Trainmaster

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2017, 01:23:18 PM »

Anticipated work for this coming weekend:

* Material delivery: Deliver the rails, ties to end of track.
* Boxcar 67
* Stone delivery
Dwight Winkley
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »

The rails and ties are going to be used to make a temporary track to the edge of the culvert embankment.  Car 1010 our regauged Fairmont Model W64 (hand powered) Derrick Crane "Ichabod" will be used to lower the two new, four foot diameter curvets down into the washout's bed.
Wayne Laepple
Museum Member
Dispatcher

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2017, 05:22:48 PM »

Isn't there some amount of excavation that must be done at the washout prior to placing the new pipes? And there must be some preparation to receive the new pipes to support them.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2017, 07:36:53 PM »

Yes. Current hole has to go down about 2 feet. The hole is wide enough now to accomplish this. But I expect to remove some from the north side to have a place to put material while digging. Need to keep the current soth face as is as much as possible to have enough reach for the crane. When the hole is as deep as needed, I expect to be on virgin soil. Will take some prep, but hoping nothing much.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Paul Uhland
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 04:53:27 AM »

So, my recollection is that you'll dig a  trench--
 *two feet deeper than the current washout bottom.
 *eight feet+ wide, to also receive that 'spoil' soil to save hauling it up out of the job and save use of purchased gravel backfill.
 *twenty feet long for uncut? pipe length, with minor  grading to meet the 'invert', the lowest part of the placed pipe, to smoothly drain whatever comes down the waterway.
 *no  excavation at the south washout wall to permit Ichabod max closeness  to hoist, swing and  lower each of the two pipes into the deepened  streambed, side-by-side. Here's hoping those close-by trees don't interfere.

Assuming the next work session, then, will see placing and compacting gravel backfill over the pipe to rail roadbed height and width, followed by eventual trackbuilding  toward the next  washout.
Good luck, Mike and WW&F guys.
Can't wait to see some pics!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:41:31 PM by Paul Uhland » Logged

Paul Uhland
Wayne Laepple
Museum Member
Dispatcher

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »

Mike's June 4 entry under the "Down the Mountain..." heading under Work and Events includes his proposed timetable for this project.
Dwight Winkley
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »

The first thing to do, is remove two tree's that broke off and fell into the washed out covert.
Paul Uhland
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »

Methinks that's why Mike put in "cleanup" of whatever  before substantial work starts.
Also, my accurate? paraphrasing of Mike's job outline makes it clearer to me, and maybe others.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 09:38:31 PM by Paul Uhland » Logged

Paul Uhland
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Superintendent

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2017, 12:08:39 AM »

Tree removal (the fallen) may be Saturday, depending on the track unloading and weather. As well as weed whacking the slopes.

Mike
Membership Secretary, Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc. CMO of off rail equipment
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: