Author Topic: April 2014 work planning  (Read 20899 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: April 2014 work planning
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 07:19:15 PM »
Also,
  Brendan did some work at septic heights, removing some of the hill side to make room for the run through track. The fill will be used for the approach to the woods track.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 08:57:40 PM »
Thanks Mike!

It's been such a busy week, I knew I'd miss something.  Here's a few other things -

* Machine shop - On Friday there was a major clean up along the outside of the west wall with lots of scrap hauled away.

* Internet - A technician from Time Warner cable did a presite inspection of the museum to draw up plans for a broadband connection in the office and voice service for the phone system.  The data package includes telephone service up to 2 lines so the tech inspected the Executone system mainframe in the machine shop.  He got a full tour of the buildings and some Maine Two-Foot history. He saw the rotary telephones in the station and machine shop and advised that TWC would have circuits that will work on the 80 year old phones.  The cutover may happen early next week.  The museum's main phone number will remain the same.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 04:34:56 PM »
Work done on 4/19:

* Inspection: A crew took a trip on the entire line for an inspection.  It doubled as a staging trip for the Easter egg "yolks". 
* Easter Eggspress: We ran 5 trips 11 - 3, we had about 370 people for the day.  The noon trip was chock full (3 cars), the others not as much.
* Work weekend prep: Mike used the excavator to remove material from ex-Septic Heights for the track, and put that material in for the woods track.  Fred dragged rail strings away from the area.
* Mike took off the backhoe and put on the grader blade on the back of the tractor, and smoothed out some of the parking lot.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 05:30:04 PM »
Good turn out today, the volunteer log book has 58 names.  The AC crew was about 15 with a number of kids helping.  There was a team for each field, the 0-4 yrs south of the depot and the 5+ yrs in the north field.  The station stove was started early since it was below freezing with a few snow flurries in the morning.  By 10am the sun was out but we kept the stove going to (A) heat water for hot choclate and (B) burn more of the scrap wood in the lot across from the station.  By afternoon there were clouds and a stiff breeze so the stove felt good.

Easter egg hunt anouncements were made by James and other train crew advising passengers where each group of kids should go upon arrival at AC.  Dawn greeted people on the platform and repeated the directions to help visitors.  Each field had "starter" people who lined the children up and then shouted for them to go get the eggs.  When the hunt was over, people were called back to the train.  Each time the train left the teams went back to their fields to set eggs and hide the golden egg.  If there was time to spare, the crew came back to the station to warm up, have some chow and rest.  As each northbound train approached Trask's Crossing we'd yell "show time" and everyone would go back outside to be ready for the next group.  

Things went well although it was very windy at times.  Many thanks to Nancy Weeks who made a wonderful lunch for us.  Special thanks also to Leon who walked the Averill Road and cleared all the branches that were in the road or hanging in the way.   My truck is grateful!!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:42:06 PM by Stewart "Start" Rhine »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
Also of note, spotted on this afternoons "Extra 52 South", the turtle is Eastman Lake was out and about.
Mike

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2014, 08:17:35 PM »
Yes -- I saw him last weekend when Fred, Hansel and I were heading back to Sheepscot.

I guess that means spring is finally here.
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 06:00:40 AM »
Anticipated work for weekend of April 25 - 27: Spring Work Weekend!

Probable projects:
* Loco 9: cab, running gear, boiler jacket, etc
* ROW clearing: mowing ROW missed last year, cutting & burning at Sheepscot and elsewhere
* Track: Alna Center crossing plank replacement, Davis grade tamping & joint bar replacement, North Yard track construction
* Food: Prep, cooking, cleanup for the volunteers
* Sheepscot Yard: Cleanup, organizing, etc
* Rules Review: Saturday afternoon around 3

There'll be a special announcement (or two) on Friday morning, but of course if you miss the announcement I'm sure you'll hear of it later.

Weather is currently forecasted to be clear/sunny on Friday, periods of rain on Saturday, and cloudy on Sunday.  Temps in the 50s during the day, dipping to the 30s at night.  Spring in Maine!  At least the black flies aren't out yet.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:56:54 AM by James Patten »

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 03:14:45 PM »
Is the Blue Ribbon on ice yet?

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 06:32:55 PM »
Unfortunately, sounds like work for me Saturday at this point. But I still have 2 days to convince them otherwise...
Mike

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 04:27:29 PM »
To recap the Spring Work weekend:

* Track: A couple hundred feet of track was laid on the spur, which included the majority of work for two switches.  Crossing planks at Alna Center were replaced.
* #9: Work was done on the cab and firebox door.
* Food: A great spread was put on for lunches and suppers over several days.
* Creamery car: The car was cleaned of the Springfield show equipment and readied for delivery to the Wiscasset Waterfront this week.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 08:26:26 PM by James Patten »

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
...and the Alna Center crossing planks were replaced.
What–me worry?