Author Topic: Exploring Monson ROW  (Read 42044 times)

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Exploring Monson ROW
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:42:43 PM »
Can someone tell me what portions of Monson ROW would be accessible by either 4WD or ATV in summer? Due to physical restrictions I cannot go in winter.  Some friends recently were on ROW by snowmobile and said many artifacts were visible.  Maybe others would also like to check this area of Maine out with my antique Willys Jeep or four wheeler. Is there a link to a ROW map?  Thanks

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
Re: Exploring Monson ROW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »
Glenn, most of the ROW between the Monson depot and Monson Jct. is owned by CMP and is occasionally used by ATV's. I never see 4WD's on the ROW and don't know CMP's position on those, although CMP presumably uses them to some extent for its own maintenance work. You are probably better off exploring north of the depot on foot because of varying and uncertain ownership and limited accessibility.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 10:00:49 PM »
Be sure to visit both the Monson station and the Monson Junction station, both easily accessible by car.
-John

Cliff Olson

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
Re. hikability of the Monson Railroad (Glenn Christensen post of 12/1/2016 under U.S. Two Footers):

Most of the Monson RR ROW south of the Monson depot is owned by CMP and is hikable. North of the depot, both quarry branches are physically hikable, but visitors should request permission from landowners. The Monson RR tour in September (part of the National Narrow Gauge Convention) covered the main line from the depot to Sheldon Slate Co. (former Portland-Monson Slate Co.), the Hebron Pond Quarry Branch from the depot to the Homer Hill Road and the Monson Pond Quarry/Kineo Quarry Branch from the depot to those quarries.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:36:54 PM by Cliff Olson »

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 08:12:53 PM »
Thank you, Cliff!

Best Regards,
Glenn