Author Topic: Pennsylvania narrow gauge car  (Read 5040 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Pennsylvania narrow gauge car
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
The three-foot gauge Newport & Sherman's Valley RR in central Pennsylvania is not as well known as the nearby East Broad Top. The original N&SV route ran from Newport, along the Pennsylvania RR main line and the Juniata River, to New Germantown, all within the confines of Perry County. Built in 1890, the N&SV lasted until 1934. In 1920, part of the original line, from Newport to Bloomfield Jct., was abandoned in favor of a line from Bloomfield Jct. to New Bloomfield and a connection with the Perry County Railroad, a standard gauge streak of rust from New Bloomfield to Duncannon, where it met the Pennsylvania. At final abandonment in 1934, a number of boxcars and coaches became hunting camps, storage sheds and so forth, and a few survive today. Several stations remain as well.

Below is a photo of waycar No. 12, a boxcar converted to caboose and maintenance of way duties. It sits on a pair of East Broad Top trucks on a short piece of track laid on the original N&SV right of way at Little Buffalo State Park, near Newport.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:53:55 PM by Wayne Laepple »

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania narrow gauge car
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 08:52:39 PM »
Thank you, Wayne. It looks to be in good condition. What group maintains it?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Pennsylvania narrow gauge car
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
I don't know who cares for it. There is a "friends" group at the park, and of course there are state park personnel around. There are some photos and other artifacts inside the car, but I've never found it open when I've visited the park. Yesterday there appeared to be Christmas greens and candles inside, so maybe I need to go at that time of year. :-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 01:54:09 PM by Wayne Laepple »