Author Topic: Whitefield Section House - Official Work Thread  (Read 74175 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Whitefield Section House - Official Work Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 01:09:36 PM »
There is some evidence, including photographic, that some sort of structure was located along the main line south of the Route 218 crossing, on the west side of the track. Unfortunately, none of the photos is clear enough to definitively determine its function. Thus a building somewhat similar in appearance and size at that location could be freelanced as a shelter for passengers or it could be a tool house. Recall that back in the day, the railroad was probably divided into several sections about 6 or 7 miles in length, with a section gang assigned to each one. In its waning years, however, only one gang remained to care for the entire 43-mile line. They did not have the advantage of motorized track cars, which may explain why there was a section house at Sheepscot and another at Route 218, so the track gang did not have to haul heavy tools and materials any further than necessary on the mountain.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
James,

I know that was the plan, but I am not sure that the actual structure dimensions (12x16) could accommodate 2 hand cars back to back. I'm not sure how long the hand cars are but is likely only one (and a velocipede) might fit in there. We usually use the hand cars on one of the yard tracks. I guess we need to know where the hand car operation is going to wind up or if it will stay in the same place.

Steve

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Actually, section houses were also found in yards. Bridgton, for example, had a couple small buildings in their yard, for tools and carts etc.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
Stephen --

Several years ago, I made a scale drawing of the floor plan of the Whitefield section house, as well as the footprints of the two handcars, the compressor car, fire car, etc., and everything fit quite well. Since the building would essentially be a garage for the compressor car and the fire car during the off season, there would be plenty of space. Especially if the place doesn't end up being a dumping ground for various other stuff..... and there will be space at the end of a couple of the tracks in the new carhouse as well.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 07:11:40 PM »
The floor being made of a hardwood is a must. This will allow the cars to be removed from the rail and positioned in the building. The heaviest car an be left on the track. With nothing hanging on the walls, the two hand cars could fit side by side, as well as the two work flats, and still have the track clear for more. Compressor is a little heavy, but that and the mower car could also be squeezed in.
Mike

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
I think Mike is on the right track (ha!) suggesting the building should have a hardwood floor.

Would it not be better for the MoW cars to get stored somewhere on track, rather than all crammed in a small building together where they must be maneuvered in tight spaces? This becomes especially interesting if a car needs maintenance. When you consider the crane and other small cars we have now I don't know how well it would work. Perhaps just keep the section house as a home for the handcars and velocipede and find another, more functional home for the MoW cars.

Mike, I see what you said about Bridgton and that makes sense to me, although I don't think those buildings would really be considered section houses then. Just more generally tool sheds or something along those lines. I am certainly not opposed to any of the locations that have been brought up here.

If this is totally out of step with people's thoughts, just let me know, but I think it makes foremost sense for this building to be highly functional and efficiently useable. Shoehorning stuff in would make that impossible. Wherever it winds up being located should be guided by its primary purpose. Once that is defined, it should make locating the structure fairly straightforward.

Steve

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »
Please note that the original plans called for the building to have a maple floor, made of "boxcar flooring," which is 2-inch tongue and groove maple. Once the floor is oiled a few times, it is very easy to move heavy objects around on it. Also, in my note immediately above, I made the point that the compressor car, fire car, ROWMOW 1, etc. would be in there for winter storage. Otherwise, the building would house primarily the two handcars and the velocipedes. The original floor plan even allowed for a work bench across one side, as I recall. The work cars are all about three feet wide and perhaps 4 feet long. 

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »
One more thing -- some section houses I've been in have only a smooth wooden floor, while others have a pair of hardwood "rails" screwed down to the floor directly in front of the door, to accommodate a motor car, I presume.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 07:06:28 AM »
<tongue-in-cheek mode>
Now that we have the crane, maybe the section house can be built with a hinge on the roof, so that we can "pop the top" and have the crane pull out or put in cars in various positions without having to shuffle other cars around.  What do you think?  ;D
</tongue-in-cheek>

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 12:12:06 PM »
I like the idea of the wooden rails, as Wayne mentioned other car houses have. Then in the winter time, the hand cars can be moved to the set of "rails" beside the door opening, and roll the mow cars into the building on the door track.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
I like that idea too. I think this is shown in a couple of the WSH photos too. Sounds like a good plan!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
It should also be kept in mind that when the carhouse is completed, it will free up quite a bit of track space in the shop building.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »
The WSH plans were submitted at the BoD meeting tonight.  Since they were done 8 years ago, a few changes/corrections will be made but the basic plans were accepted.  The site location was discussed as well and info will go to Steve P. and Mike about site prep.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2015, 09:21:37 PM »
Any possibility that preliminary work could be done during Spring Work Weekend?

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:15 PM »
Spring Work Weekend should concentrate on the ballasting and final track laying at TOM and work on the Car Barn, possibly including some track laying. With the Mid-June wedding planned, we have the month of May and half of June to get things ready. If we start too early, we may finish it before Stephen and Annie can put any sweat equity into it.
Mike