Author Topic: No. 10 Boiler Balancing Act  (Read 6092 times)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
No. 10 Boiler Balancing Act
« on: March 24, 2016, 02:06:09 AM »
Recently while at the museum to inspect journal boxes I've seen No. 10's old boiler perched most interestingly on a truck. How was it elevated to this position? I think it would be too heavy for Ichabod Crane.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
Re: No. 10 Boiler Balancing Act
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:35:27 AM »
Steve,

Do you remember the discussion of the "m" factor a few weeks ago?  Therein lies your answer...

Jason

Carl G. Soderstrom

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 03:04:12 AM »
Is the boiler of enough significance to keep? (Even as a "Do not do it this way.)
Or is it culvert material? 

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:10:43 AM »
Culvert material- I like that! 

The boiler was lifted in the original part of shop bay 1, using Brendan's new rigging.  He also devised the passenger truck boiler conveyance.  Not that it deserves such a cushy ride...

We won't do anything with it until 10 is back in service.  We have discussed sectioning it lengthwise to teach visitors the inner workings of a locomotive boiler.  The defects aren't so bad as to affect this use. 

We just need someone to take the Dremel tool with a cut off wheel...

See ya
Jason

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:05:54 AM »
10's boiler hanging in bay 1.

Boilers are just popping up like weeds everywhere in the yard.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Marcel Levesque

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:04 AM »
Jay,

I think you are going to need more than one cut off wheel...........or perhaps more than one dremel tool for that matter.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 01:32:58 PM »
I would be more than happy to help make a display when the time is right. Steamtown did a excellent job with their engine, and I think if we were to do this, maybe find a way to display a mock half cylinder, etc out of lumber to keep costs at a minimum.

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 03:12:35 PM »
Ted Wichmann, the fellow who did the cut up engine for Steamtown and I used to work together. He's a great guy- he was roundhouse foreman for Steamtown when they were in Bellows Falls and was with them when they moved to Scranton. Usually when I see models that try to explain it all at once, they somehow miss the idea that the boiler is a steam generator, while the steam engine a the steam user- and the idea that these two components together comprise a steam locomotive- and the idea that they work in symbiosis - literally exhausting steam improves draft, which improves efficiency- that aspect is very life-like.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 08:28:30 PM »
Brendan, thanks so much for the picture showing how No. 10's boiler was hoisted.

Now about that boiler that popped out of the weeds: Might it be headed for Brian's shop?

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »
We won't do anything with it until 10 is back in service.  We have discussed sectioning it lengthwise to teach visitors the inner workings of a locomotive boiler.  The defects aren't so bad as to affect this use. 

Using the old #10 boiler as a cut-away display would be a nice addition -- definitely in line with our museum's mission.  I think a very interesting exhibit could be developed around #10's exposed boiler and #9's original boiler.
What–me worry?

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 10:34:17 PM »
How about displaying both boilers in an open-sided pavilion between the turntable and Cross Road? We could even make a pair of cylinders and some wheels from wood to simulate the running gear.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »
Now about that boiler that popped out of the weeds: Might it be headed for Brian's shop?

The boiler on the flatcar is number 9's old boiler. The boiler is being used as a flatcar load in tomorrows photo excursion trains.  The boiler has been sitting at the end of track seven and track seven is being cut back to be used as the turntable lead so the boiler had to be moved anyhow.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 01:19:15 AM »
Brendan, that is a most interesting shot. The positions of the old boiler and No. 9 relative to the camera make the old boiler look long—as though it was for an 0-4-4-2T Mallet instead of an 0-4-2T.