Author Topic: Mitsubishi tractor and backhoe attachment  (Read 12494 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Mitsubishi tractor and backhoe attachment
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:02:52 PM »
The WW&F Hauling & Rigging Dept. should be headed back from my neighborhood with a Mitsubishi tractor (rice paddy version), a rototiller attachment and a backhoe for Fred's tractor through the generosity of my good neighbors, Mark and Mary Gay. It's a 1980 two cylinder diesel based on a John Deere Susie. Brendan thinks the Mitsubishi D1600 should be good for brush cutting once we get an attachment. I'll bet RowMow Mfg. is chomping at the bit for the arrival!
KD

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Mitsubishi tractor and backhoe attachment
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 07:20:17 PM »
One D1600 Mitsubishi tractor. Anybody have a line on a 48" to 60" brush hog.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 07:33:33 PM »
Not to start any kind of controversy here, but I'm not so sure a bush hog is what we need. I don't know if this machine is capable of handling a rotary, or better yet, flail mower that mounts on the end of the boom. This type of mower would be able to mow slopes and potentially could mow the right-of-way from a flatcar or with some sort of hy-rail rig.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:50:00 PM »
I should have had that drop shipped here like you said Dave. That backhoe should fit on the JD just fine, and where it is a larger machine would be better suited to handle the attachment.

Tractor would be good for mowing the field at AC and perhaps at Albee's with some stumpage adjustments. Most of the rest of the ROW would be off limits as it is too steep for the little critter and would spend more time on it's side than it would be running.

If nothing else, there is at least a motor, transmission and frame to start a project of some kind.

Pres.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 09:38:53 PM »
Mike,
You're correct about where it could be used to mow. Those were the two places I had in mind. It's too narrow for any kind of slope.

Wayne,
To paraphrase Mike, there's too much boom for the tractor which is why the backhoe was initially donated to us. It was always meant for the Deere. Brendan is right about a brush hog or mower. We could also get a bucket for it for smaller or tight clearance jobs.
Dave

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »
Very nice.  Thank you Mark and Mary, Brendan and KD.

Looks like we need that fourth stall on the garage, Start.
What–me worry?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:58:34 PM »
I can't believe no one's noticed yet. Look at the photo again.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 10:05:04 PM »
Bill, Ya took the words right out of my mouth!

Well, as I suggested on Saturday, there could be a lean-to type structure with a gravel floor on the west end of the garage.  It may not be closed in right away but it could have enough space for a few things under cover.  There could be a short siding from the woods track that would feed in from the back so the shed could take road vehicles or small flanged wheeled rolling stock.  The turnout and curve would be tight, so only small 4 wheeled M-O-W cars (like the air car) would go in there.  There is a good bit of lumber left over from the garage project so that's a start.

Just a thought...  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 06:01:34 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 12:03:07 AM »
I should have had that drop shipped here like you said Dave. That backhoe should fit on the JD just fine, and where it is a larger machine would be better suited to handle the attachment.

Tractor would be good for mowing the field at AC and perhaps at Albee's with some stumpage adjustments. Most of the rest of the ROW would be off limits as it is too steep for the little critter and would spend more time on it's side than it would be running.

If nothing else, there is at least a motor, transmission and frame to start a project of some kind.

Pres.
Well Mike, I'm just going to beat you to the punch as far as mechanical creations go... The motor, transmission and frame could go towards something like this, couldn't it?  ::)

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 01:45:24 AM »
Nobody has noticed the counter weight yet?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 06:04:22 AM »
I saw the counter weight but I figured you were talking about the nice seat on the backhoe ... all set for KD!

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 09:42:49 AM »
Awesome, Dave! Thank you for making this happen. And thank you Brendan for hauling it!

SH

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
Wow. That is a big weight. I was looking at the business end and not paying much attention to the other end. No wonder why the tires are squatting.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 04:27:22 AM »
Some more pictures. The tractor runs nice and this model also got shipped in green and yellow paint so parts are easy. The backhoe attachment is a 2009 according to the data plate and looks to have very little use.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
Is that a thumb I see on the backhoe attachment? That is a huge asset for handling ties and even rail if the John Deere has enough weight and power.