Author Topic: Sheepscot pictures for the away crowd.  (Read 152422 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: Sheepscot pictures for the away crowd.
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2020, 01:31:49 PM »
It was Sandy River RR #5 before becoming SR & RL #6.
A brief history of the locomotive can be found at: http://wordpress.wwfry.org/?page_id=182
(Which needs to be updated to reflect its completed restoration.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 18, 2020, 06:22:14 PM »
SR&RL #6 was originally Sandy River #5 until the renumbering of 1908.  Perhaps "they" had just changed over and the new front number plate hasn't been cast yet??  Hey, makes a good story.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 18, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »
Can someone set me straight on Number 6's number plate? I thought WW&F 9 was ex-SR&RL 6, but that smokebox plate says Sandy River RR.

One of the quirky design features of the Portland Co. Forneys were the number plates, which were customized with the name of the railroad around the outside rim of the casting: Sandy River RR Nos. 4 and 5 (= SR&RL 5 and 6) had plates that said "Sandy River RR", Phillips & Rangeley No. 1 (= SR&RL 7) had a plate that said "Phillips & Rangeley RR", Kennebec Central No. 2 had a "Kennebec Central RR" number plate, B&SR Nos. 3 (= WW&F No. 8 ) and 5 had plates that said "Bridgton & Saco River RR", and W&Q/WW&F Nos. 2 and 3 originally carried plates that said "Wiscasset & Quebec RR". These are all visible in photos.

When the SR&RL renumbered its equipment after the 1908 consolidation, the Portland engines retained their original number plates except with the addition of an engraved center disc with the new number, so SR&RL No. 7's plate still said "Phillips & Rangeley RR" (and still does - it's now on display at the Phillips Historical Society) and SR&RL No. 6's plate still said "Sandy River RR" despite their new identities. When No. 6 went to the Kennebec Central in 1924 they did the same thing again, so she still carried the same "Sandy River RR" number plate with the new-new number 4. For some reason the WW&F didn't like this, so when she became WW&F No. 9 the old "Sandy River RR" number plate was scrapped and replaced with a new plain number plate (known from a handful of photos), which was itself ultimately scrapped and had to be replicated.

It's possible the customized number plates may have been a Hinkley practice that was carried over when Portland acquired Hinkley's patterns and tooling, because B&SR Hinkleys Nos. 1 and 2 (= WW&F No. 5 ) appear to have had "Bridgton & Saco River RR" number plates as well. However I've seen no evidence that Monson Nos. 1 or 2 or Franklin & Megantic No. 1 had them, so maybe not.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:05:21 PM by Philip Marshall »

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 18, 2020, 07:39:01 PM »
All of this, plus $2 will get you a cup of coffee!  Donuts are extra.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 18, 2020, 07:57:07 PM »
Everyone I spoke with today was extremely pleased, even with the -3 day break temps. The scenes were interesting and original. A little delay at the start but the photographers seem to enjoy that too. It made the day all that much more..
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Benjamin Richards

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2020, 10:04:48 PM »
Thanks, Phillip. Fascinating stuff. You answered the question I had, but perhaps failed to clearly articulate.

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »
I made the costume jewelry for SR&RL #6.  The tank lettering is vinyl on black painted magnetic sheets.  The cab number is a thin piece of black painted plywood with Vinyl numbers.  I turned the "9" over on the insides of the headlight.

The number plate is brass plate sawn out and screwed to the blank reproduction plate.  Where did that plate com from? I have heard some one made several a while back but what did he or she use for a pattern?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:43:03 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine

Bill Baskerville

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2020, 03:18:01 PM »
Well Done Eric!  You are very creative and talented.  This fits right in with your 'G' gauge locomotive and car work.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 03:20:37 PM by Bill Baskerville »
~ B2 ~ Wascally Wabbit & Gofer ~

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2020, 03:56:27 PM »
I wanted to commend everyone who made this event possible. This type of production doesn't happen overnight: it has been literally years in the making. Personally, I am in awe of the imagination, preparation, and work it took to pull this off.
The prep work was enormous in the last few weeks, and the advent of a real Maine winter made it a truly unique experience.
I was fortunate to be able to show up to a fully readied scene and participate for four days,  and I fully appreciate that I stood on a stage that was set by the participating organizations' leadership, volunteer dedication, donors, and talent.

To those involved in imagining the possibility, thank you.
To those that carried the load of pulling it all together, thank you.
To those that made sure everything was moved, fixed, safe, and ready, thank you.
To those that ran the trains, kept everything moving, fed the crews, cleared the snow, and spent hours in the cold, thank you.
To the crews that got three vintage steam engines ready, hot, loud, and created many goosebump spectacles, thank you.
To the fans and photographers who came from far corners to record winter 2 foot railroading in Maine, thank you.

Lets' do it again!

Gawdon

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2020, 05:06:59 PM »
Well said Gordon! I look forward to being part of the February "Grand Reunion".

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2020, 07:35:31 PM »
Eric, I hope your cosmetics can be saved and used again whenever we might want to backdate #9 again.

As for the weather, someone beyond us was looking down and giving us the best possible weather all three days.  The Saturday snowstorm was providential, and gave us a unique insight into what must have been their winter challenges those many years ago.  And it makes for unforgettable photos.

Bob

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2020, 07:45:21 PM »
Gordon's comments are spot on, and all that I can add is that of all the events I've witnessed in Alna these past 19 years with our members and friends, what I experienced Sunday was one of the most magical.  Watching our 13-car train work through Cockeye Curve and the rest of our railway, in newly fallen snow, was brilliant.  This event brought me much closer to what the crews on the original Maine two-foot railways must have experienced a century ago.  I only wish I had the opportunity to take a few photos.

The best experience was sharing this with friends.  Gordon, along with the three steam crews and our train's brakemen, did a wonderful job.  It was a privilege to share the experience with them.  And I got the opportunity to talk with several of our photographers and make new friends.

Thanks to all who made this possible!
What–me worry?

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2020, 10:31:59 PM »
Bill,

Thanks so much to you and your crew for helping us "chase the light" yesterday afternoon.   The photographers were really hoping we could find a sunny spot where we could shoot the double-header in the late afternoon sun and the shadows were closing the line down fast.   I know it must have been a chore getting all of the brakemen and the engine crews briefed on the plan change, especially when the engine guys were 13 cars and a lot of snowy footprints away.   Everyone REALLY appreciated getting that last spot.

/Kevin Madore :) 

PS - Apologies for the lousy image quality in the sample below.  The forum only allows a 200KB file.   The 1 MB version looks much nicer!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 10:34:36 PM by Kevin Madore »

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2020, 09:48:20 AM »
Kevin;
Nice shot, especially at the end of a long day. Even though we were cold and tired the entire crew wanted to make sure the photographers left for home happy and satisfied with The Grand Reunion. Since the Albee field shot didn't work I'm glad a substitute was found thanks to you. And Bill cancelled his order for a new Peloton. He found that walking back and forth along a 13 car train provided all the exercise he needed.
Best regards,
Dave

Graham Buxton

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
And Bill cancelled his order for a new Peloton.

... and look how much he saved by doing that ...   :o ;D

The Peloton indoor bicycle, with its live-streaming and on-demand classes, costs roughly $3,000 for the first year and nearly $500 each year thereafter.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/peloton-review-what-to-know-before-you-buy/
Graham