Author Topic: Victorian Christmas 2013  (Read 11765 times)

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Victorian Christmas 2013
« on: November 24, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »
I assume it's not to early to discuss this.
What's the date for the event this year?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian Christmas 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
Saturday, December 21st

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 07:09:47 PM »
Details can be found via wwfry.org, or specifically at http://www.wwfry.org/pics/christmas2013.pdf
What–me worry?

Hunt Dowse

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 01:39:49 PM »
How much help is needed for the Victorian Christmas?  There must be several "volunteer opportunities" to put the day together.  With luck, it'll be too cold for track work...

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:15:45 PM »
We can always use help, including for Victorian Christmas!  I've just started on this years operating plan.  Crowd control, and parking attendants are the weakest areas.  Please PM me if I can put your name in a slot!

See ya
Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 06:41:59 PM »
I would add that our newly enlarged parking area will reduce side-of-the-road parking, but may become a free-for-all, unless (as Jason suggests) we have some parking attendants. I know that when I go to the Amherst Railway Society show in West Springfield (Eastern States Exposition grounds), I'm always impressed with the helpful parking attendants who quickly guide you to the next available space and motion you to pull up exactly the right amount. It's all very quick and hassle-free.

At Alna Center, I am hoping we have the capability to unload all four cars simultaneously on six step stools plus the platform. (I'm building a step stool and borrowing one to add to the four we have.) It would greatly improve speed and safety to have six attendants for the step stools and one or two for the platform. It would also be nice to have a couple of people guide visitors between the train and Santa and the wagon/sleigh rides, as these people will be crossing the tracks, possibly during a run-around. A stove-stoker (probably Stewart) is also essential. If we serve hot cocoa or anything, that would also require helpers.

-John M

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 07:04:55 PM »
Hi John,

Yes, as usual I'll tend the station stove and the bon fire.  Also, as in past years I'll guard the crossing and advise visitors who want to return to Sheepscot to walk to the east side of the tracks and line up on the road.   The west side crew usually calls out to guests to cross over when we hear the n/b train whistle for Trasks Crossing.  There will be a crew meeting at Sheepscot that morning to iron out further operations at AC.

Stewart

Hansel Gordon

• Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »
My video of VC 2013!
http://youtu.be/RUoIglc_Fyo

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 10:24:21 PM »
Very nice Hansel, you caught some great scenes.   I missed all of this being a wood chuck at AC all day.  Thanks for the link!

Start

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 12:03:16 AM »
Great stuff! Nice video and nice sound. It was fun to see all the different viewpoints and try to figure out where you were at the beginning of each scene. You must have gotten a lot of exercise! ;D

-John

p.s. I'll bet you have one of the only #51 action shots on youtube!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2013, 09:49:55 AM »
Working at Alna Center ...

The most exciting thing was the arrival of each trainload of happy visitors.  Some of the kids just couldn't wait to get to Santa.  With the horses, crafts, bon fire and snow, there was so much going on that it's almost easy to forget how the train was safely and expertly handled by the crew.  The engine crews included Bob, Joe, Mike, and Jason.  Train crews included Jonathan, Wes, J.B., Paul, and John R.  Sheepscot crews included many folks, some who did double duty.  Mike Fox ran #52 handling mainline trains and then drilling the yard while laying over at Sheepscot.  It was pure joy listening to #10 with Bob at the the throttle as she pulled the grade into Alna Center.  Joe kept her steam up all day. John M. worked as the AC station agent, staying well after the rest of the ground crew left for Sheepscot.  Santa Steve did a super job as always.  I saw many happy (and excited) children on his knee.  Parents were all smiles as they greeted Santa, took the horse drawn wagon ride and warmed themselves by the bon fire.    

The gift shop crew was VERY busy answering phone calls, greeting visitors, making sales and setting up food.  The crew included Francis, Susan, Dawn, Jamie, Cindy and Bob C.  Donations were healthy with over $1,200 given.

Another banner Victorian Christmas is now in the books thanks to everyone who helped!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 02:48:04 PM by Stewart Rhine »

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
I would add to Stewart's report that there was lots for children to do at Alna Center. In addition to Santa, the bonfire, the crafts, and the wagon rides, the new-fallen snow was a perfect consistency for making snowmen (there were at least two of moderate size), throwing snowballs, and (most popular of all) sliding face-first down the snow-covered gravel pile. (That's the same gravel pile that is used for "king of the mountain" when snow is lacking. We have to keep it there. :)) The children plainly enjoyed themselves; during the whole event I heard only about five seconds of whining and many hours of laughter.

-John

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
Also...

Thanks to the dedicated photographers who document our events.  The regulars include Stephen, Hansel and Kevin who give the rest of the members a look at the goings on.  For the ones who could not attend and the volunteers who were too busy working to get pictures and video, you really help us see how things went and how great everything looked.

Start

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2013, 10:54:49 AM »
Hansel, make sure you post that on Narrow Gauge Discussion Forum!

John, back at Sheepscot I heard a lot more than 5 seconds of whining and crying.  Either kids were overtired or really unhappy to leave...

Everything went well back at Sheepscot.  This year I was dispatcher and thus Master of Ceremonies (I don't think my first time but I hadn't done it in a while).  My biggest misjudgement was the 11 AM train - when the train rounded the curve the crowd looked like it would all fit on two cars, then while the train was in the station and loading it seemed to double in size.  I got Mike and crew to get the diesel going and hooked on.

The parking lot made a huge difference, but we still had people parked up on Rt 218.  Next year we need walkie-talkies for parking control people!

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »
That was a great video Hansel!!!  I wish I was out with you, though I did have a great time playing trains in Bay 3 of the engine house!  I put together a little video too though not as professional as yours. 

http://youtu.be/wepv1tJB5gw

I had help running the model trains which was food fun for me and my helpers!  I imagine Ryder (spelling?) will want a model live steamer in his Christmas Stocking...His folks may take a little more convincing though.  I got some film of #10 working in the yard before and after the rush so I included them in the video too.
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine