Author Topic: November 2013 Work Planning  (Read 24551 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
November 2013 Work Planning
« on: October 22, 2013, 06:20:08 PM »
It's a little early for this thread, but I thought I would get the word out on what I wanted to do early in order for others to plan or give feedback.

I would like to spend one Saturday in November doing track work with Big Joe.  For various reasons, it cannot be the 2nd or the 9th (Albion Day), and I'd prefer it not to be the 30th but can do it if that's the only choice available.  Which means it would be the 16th or 23rd.  FYI Thanksgiving this year is the 28th.

I'd like to spend the morning working on Davis Grade from where we left off last spring to the head of the curve where Dana spent time working.  First train is at 11, so we'd need to break around 10:30 to get equipment back to Sheepscot to get out of the way.  Chances are we'd end up spending most of the day there, but if we do finish there's other places around Albee's field to do too.  It would be nice to finish this up so that next spring we can hit some other section of the line with Big Joe.

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
Re: November 2013 Work Planning
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:09:04 PM »
Barring work interruptions, I should be able to make it on either date.  No family events are planned either Saturday.

I don't think there's much stone under the ties on the lower part of Davis grade, and it's pretty wet there, so we'll see how well it tamps.  That's also where several of the joint bars should be replaced with ones that have the correct bolt hole spacing (5-8-5 inches).  There's a pile of the right bars north of Alna Center.  We might be short on joint bar bolts, though.
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:13 AM »
There's also road cloth underneath the stone.  I'm a little worried that if we're not careful we'll end up tearing up the road cloth.  I don't know how we'd know.  Maybe a stone delivery beforehand to the area and we lift the whole thing up 2 or 3 inches would be in order.

Hunt Dowse

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:32:37 AM »
James,
Fred's tractor was pressed into service on the work weekend to load stone at AC.  The rear of the tractor needs some weight to counteract the stone.  There were discussions about fabricating a weight barrel to attach onto the 3-point hitch.  That would make loading a lot easier.
Hunt

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
They have bolt-on wheel weights for John Deere tractors.  Hit the local tractor dealers and tractor junk yards.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 08:41:51 PM »
Maybe this winter I can hit a few of those places. I have one near me that I keep hearing on the radio but have never been to. Looking for rops and a counterweight of some kind
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 08:36:56 AM »
A cheap "farmer" alternative is to put calcium chloride into the rear tires.  I have about 150 pounds in each of my rear tires of my Ford tractor and works great.  It also helps prevent moisture rot of the tire itself.  A lot cheaper than buying counterweights and also doesn't tie-up your 3 point hitch.
Moxie Bootlegger

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:06:48 AM »
There's the old rotor tiller attachment that was on there, which provided an effective counterweight for a load on the front.  If we need it, put it back on.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
When I was a kid growing up in Cow Hampshire, there were several local instances of people being severely injured or killed when their tractor flipped backward due to incorrect (too high) hitching. Please be careful.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 06:36:43 PM »
I've decided to plan on November 16th for the track work day. 

Bill Reidy

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
  • Life member. Ack.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
I've decided to plan on November 16th for the track work day. 

Hope I can make it.  We'll see what work says...
What–me worry?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 06:21:58 AM »
Anticipated work Saturday November 2:

It's the beginning of deer hunting season in Maine.  Bring your blaze orange hats (we sell these in the gift shop) and/or vests (we don't sell these).  The Alna Fire Department is having a hunter's breakfast from 4:30 - 9 in the morning.  Come eat!

* Garage: Shingling the north roof.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 04:57:24 PM »
Work done on Saturday Nov 2:

After a great breakfast at the Alna Fire Department Fine Diner, I was ready to work!

* Garage: We completed the shingling on the north roof, except for the cap pieces.
* #9: Jason and Wes were working on the quartering machine, Leon on the end piece for back head insulation.
* Preble's station: We took it off Brendan's trailer.
* Office: I did a clean-up of the office.  Unearthed a few interesting photos (archives) and floaters for the septic tanks.  Zack said he'd been looking for those and had to order a new set.  They are now in the restroom utility room well marked.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 08:11:16 PM »
Also forgot to mention that Jeff Verney started working on the parking lot today.  While he was doing so, Stewart and I were watching and Stewart noticed a hawk sitting in a tree.  I decided to get my camera and long lens and see if I could capture him.  When I got back out and in position, the hawk was gone, but after a few minutes I found him in another tree.  I got a pretty good picture of him (I blew up the picture some to get this detail):

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 08:45:43 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

SH