Author Topic: Albion Day 2013  (Read 23263 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Albion Day 2013
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
All;
Contrary to the official 2013 WW&F calendar, the 2013 Albion Day will be Saturday, November 9, 2013. Since recent years' attendance has been on a par with Fred's Weed Whacking Days we will be adding a sweetener or two. In addition to the usual banter of Carl and Phil we will be transporting the rail car and the hand car on the Museum's new trailer which WILL be ready by then. (that was one of the reasons for moving the date as well as a poor excuse I have). On the trailer as well will be about 15 ties for replacement of the disintegrated ones at the southern end. Phil promises to have the joint bars and bolts that were never used on the rail now sitting on tie remains. We will also do some siding on the stair tower and some inside work as well for those not accustomed to the brisk November weather at beautiful Albion Station.

Additionally, I have arranged for a visit by the esteemed president of RowMow Mfg. Co. who may be persuaded to pose for photos and sign autographs with and for his loyal fans.

If attendance is deemed sufficent enough the plan is to bring #10 for Albion Day 2014. Sort of a carrot and stick sort of thing. Or, if you trailer it, they will come.
I hope to see many of you there with me. Remember November 9, 2013!
B f/k/a KD

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Day 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:54 PM »
Years ago, we "joined" the Albion Historical Society and sent them some money for the depot restoration project. Needless to say, we've heard virtually nothing from up there ever since.

What exactly is the status of the place at this point in time, and what, if any, are the plans for the future?

As nearly as we ever could determine, the whole thing was a one or two man show. Not to denigrate what they did / are doing, but like some other such "museums" down Maine, they lack communication skills with the outside world.  Especially if they are "off the beaten path", tourist-wise.

Please enlighten those of us "from away" if you would be so kind.

Richard

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:23:24 PM »
I will say that it is enjoyable there, no matter how hard you work.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
Richard;
The station is level and weather tight. The stair tower on the southern end has been erected and the temporary internal stairs removed. The upstairs rooms' walls and ceilings have been covered in T&G boards. A platform has been added for boarding trains. Furniture has been added. A blacksmith shop (non historic to the property) to the premises.
The track extends almost to the southern end of the property. About 20-25 ties need to be replaced at the same end. The northernmost east side siding is in place with a stub switch that needs a switch stand installed (which they have).
The AHS also has a Plymouth gas engine on site that needs some TLC to get running.
Not bad for a "one or two man show".
Hope to see you there on the 9th.
Dave

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:07:46 AM »
I first visited the place in 1971 when the depot had a pronounced "list" to one side.  I took black and white pictures of it and the surrounding area. I walked the R.O.W. south for a ways.

I've been there since the "list" was removed and the depot stabilized.  All well and good. BUT. . .

What is the ultimate goal?  A tourist train running a couple hundred feet (if that?) with a gas mechanical critter for power?  I know, I know, that's how the SR&RL boys got started over at Phillips. But as Peggy Lee used to sing, "Is that all there is?"

What happens when the "one or two guys" can't make it happen anymore?  Who takes over?  Again. . . to what purpose? The depot is saved until it begins to list once more and then the movie starts all over. Isn't that where we came in?

Richard

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:23:49 PM »
Dave,  you have worked tirelessly to keep this event going. I plan on going this year. I'll talk with you about it at the Fall Work Weekend.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
Dana,
Thanks for you support. I'll look forward to discussing it during tamping breaks.
Dave

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 08:36:27 AM »
The Albion folks should have a mini fund drive or sell tickets for the rides so they can buy more ties and rail. We started with small fund drives.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
Good point Fred,

The event should be publicized up there. It will be a rare opportunity to ride the north end of the WW&F since this year will be the first time a Model T railcar has been in Albion in 80 years.

As the track crew works on the south end, the ride can get longer.

Start

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
It will be a rare opportunity to ride the north end of the WW&F since this year will be the first time a Model T railcar has been in Albion in 80 years.

Once we have pictures (hint, hint) and a story (hint, hint) that talks about the 80 years and about the current event, we'll have a good article for the November/December WW&F Newsletter! Inquiring editors want to know ;)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »
Now you're getting warm!  Publicity is everything, especially in this day and age with so much competition for peoples' attention.

That's the thing that most of these tiny "museums" don't do, or don't do enough of.

If Albion wants attention, they have to let "the outside world" know what they have and what is going on. As it is now, only the "townies" know, plus a few local railfans.  That's not good enough.

Do they have a website?  If so, is it up to date?

A squeaky wheel gets the grease, is still true. So let's get Albion to "squeak" big time!

Richard
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 12:01:21 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »
To the Editor (John);
I will be sure to bring my camera. I'm already working on the story (can't let facts that haven't happened yet get in the way of a good story). Of course, I will bow to the Offical WW&F Photographer should his professional duties allow him to join us.
B

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 08:06:32 AM »
Hey B,

Photo ops should be good.  You can get pictures of the T facing north, as it pulls in front of the station.  This will re-create an inspection trip arriving from Wiscasset.  We'll turn the car and then get shots of it facing south.  It'll look great heading towards Weeks Mills with the Albion station in the background.

Start

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
A quick question:  How much ROW does the W&Q own from Albion southwards.  Could one actually replicate the line south to say, China?
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »
John;
Unfortunately it appears that the section immediately south of the station is not owned by the W&Q. The section after that to the next road is probably owned by the W&Q. A member of the AHS is a surveyor and has been helping me search the title. Our research continues.
Dave