W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 30, 2014, 07:05:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Help trash the WW&F.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Fall work weekend 2013  (Read 3474 times)
Tom Casper
Museum Member
Baggageman

View Profile WWW
« on: September 01, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »

Hi,  I looked around and can't find the dates.  I would think it would be a sticky so it would stay at the top.
is it the 12-14th?

Tom C.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 05:46:58 PM by James Patten » Logged

Later:
tom_srclry_com
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Supervisor

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 05:46:29 PM »

It is the 11th through the 14th of October.  Pretty late this year.

Some of the projects that are being thought of:
- Garage construction
- North Yard construction
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Supervisor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »

Some things needed for the North Yard construction are 10' ties for the switch stands.

Mike
Head Membership Secretary (yes I have Minions), Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc., Permanent pain in the neck
Dana Deering
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »

The big track project for the fall work weekend will be working on the extension of the north yard side track.  Jason will not be here for the work weekend so I don't know how much will get done on the switch.  I have told him about the need for ten foot switch timbers, track bolts, and stone, so I am hoping those will be on hand when the time comes.  We will also have to bring more rail down from the pile at Albees so we can get them cropped and drilled for laying on the extension.  If it looks like there will be some waiting time while rail is being prepared then a crew can always go out and work on the mainline.  There are several places that need work.
Dave Crow
Museum Member
Brakeman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:16 AM »

Dana, I plan to have the pieces and parts for the 33# rail frogs with the intention of drilling and riveting the frogs to base plates.
Jason will need to order 3 pieces of 5/8" plate 16" x 66" as well as countersunk head rivets.

Dave Crow
Bill Reidy
Museum Member
Hostler

Life member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »

...If it looks like there will be some waiting time while rail is being prepared then a crew can always go out and work on the mainline...

Maybe Friday should be primarily a mainline maintenance day, while a small crew works on rail prep.  The main line is available (no scheduled passenger trains), and we keep out of the hair of the handful of people prepping rail.  Any particular spot you want to work on?
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Supervisor

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »

Actually the mainline won't be available in the middle of the day Friday.  There's a charter request from the UK on that day.  Maybe we can press gang them into some work.
Dave Buczkowski
Museum Member
Engineer

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 09:59:25 PM »

Sort of payback for the War of 1812 when they impressed Americans? You do hold a grudge!
Bill Sample
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »

Sign up the UK group for "Permanent Way" work - think that's what they call track work.

Steve Smith
Museum Member
Fireman

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 06:18:12 PM »

Dave, your comment reminded me of a delightful British Air or British Tourist Authority ad in 1976 as we celebrated our 200th year of independence. A portly Brit with powdered wig and judges robes (I think he was probably a well-known British character actor) looked out at us readers and said, "Come back, America.......all is forgiven."
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Supervisor

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »

Linda's talking that she would like people to work on the floor of the gift shop.  I think that means cleaning and restoring the shine it once had - maybe eurethaning it.  Please let her know if anyone that can do that is coming.
Duncan Mackiewicz
Museum Member
Fireman

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 03:09:34 PM »

James,
The best polyurethane for shining-up a floor would be oil base polyurethane but a single coat can take a day or more to cure. On the other hand, water base polyurethane can dry in as little as an hour or two allowing multiple coats. It would likley take at least 3 or 4 coats of the waterbase product to provide any real durability in the gift shop give all of the foot traffic. That would restrict useage for the better part of a day unless it was done in an evening.
Duncan
Steve Zuppa
Museum Member
Flagman

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

One of the nice things about the "no one can be everywhere aspect" of the museum we've come to know and love, is the fact that volunteers who are focused on their own area of interest, bring their needs known to the group at large. Obviously, tying up the gift shop floor during a work weekend is not ideal.Therefore, I volunteer to sand and recoat the floor during the week when traffic concerns are not so much an issue.
Ira Schreiber
Museum Member
Engineer

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »

The second week of January looks good, Steve.
Steve Zuppa
Museum Member
Flagman

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 06:04:41 PM »

Sure and instead of the urethane drying in a day, it could take a month, Actually, Ira, you may be on to something, there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: