Author Topic: Trout Brook Bridge/Trestle Photo?  (Read 10489 times)

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Trout Brook Bridge/Trestle Photo?
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:21:59 PM »
Are there any public-domain photos of the Trout Brook Bridge available?  A 45-year bridge expert in my company just retired; he's a railfan and is willing to work on bridge projects that, in his words, "being in retirement mode, I will only accept projects that are fun and require a limited amount of time (8 to occasionally 20 hours per week).  One major retirement criteria is that I will not accept any deadlines, but, if it is indeed fun, I will not be able to stop myself from working on it so I may actually be quite fast."

Or, do we already have the design developed in adequate detail for all necessary permits, etc.?

Dave Crow

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Trout Brook Bridge/Trestle Photo?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:26:10 PM »
Someone (I forget his name, but he's a licensed bridge person) has volunteered to inspect Humason bridge(s) for the FRA bridge requirement.

However I think we need someone for Trout Brook.  As for public-domain, can't say about that, unless many of the photos found in Two Feet to Tidewater and other such books can be considered public domain.  Currently there isn't any deadline on Trout Brook!

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
I suspect that most of the "known" Maine 2 footer photos have been copied, re-copied, scanned, pirated, and stolen, and that it would be nearly impossible to prosecute anyone for using one.  When I was the curator of the Walker Transportation Collection at Beverly Historical Society from 1969 to 2008, I had over 500,000 prints, negatives, slides, etc. under my thumb. I would guess that 90% of them were also available from other sources, as railfans were notorious for copying.  Even the infamous rubber stamp warnings on the back of prints didn't deter folks from copying. Hell, L. B. Walker himself copied every image that ever crossed his desk from the 1930s until the day he died in 1969, and he was proud of it. His reasoning was that copying and distributing (at no charge) prints of every form of New England transportation only served to get more people interested in the subject.  He DID usually credit original photographers if known.  Some folks got really upset by that practice, but L.B. referred to them as "hoarders" who wanted everything for themselves.  He believed in "spreading the wealth around." 

Today, with so many ways to copy images and distribute them (Walker would have been in 7th heaven if he had a scanner and a computer), there's virtually no limit to what can be procured. I saw a brief video clip on YouTube the other day of the B&M Talgo Train in action. It was copied from an 8mm movie, which the B&MRRHS issued on VHS tapes years ago. Now someone grabbed it from a deceased fan's collection and is putting all his stuff on YouTube.  Guess who took the Talgo Train footage?  Right. . . ME.  Is my name credited? No.  Do I care?  No. If people are happy to see the Talgo in action going through North Beverly in 1962, great!  Isn't that what it finally comes down to?

Onward and upward.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 12:47:16 AM »
It would be nice for it to be done before we get there with the rails.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 01:04:36 AM »
Moreover, if the bridge were to be constructed sooner, rather than later, the ROW could be used as an access road to work on the washouts.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 02:02:38 AM »
Gee, I said that over five years ago.
I think that is a good plan to build from the north to the south from Highway 218.
Ira

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:28:45 AM »
There is a woods road that the museum paid to extend that comes to the r-o-w between the two washouts. 

Dave, The best Trout/Carlton Brook bridge photos I know of are the Mason's wreck (postcard) views which show the remaining parts of the queen truss span.  I've never seen a photo of the bridge before the accident or after it was rebuilt.

Stewart

Allan Fisher

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 04:47:04 AM »
There are three photos of the Trout Brook Bridge taken by the family that used to own the adjoinng property before it was given to Sheepscot Valley Conservation. Thje SVCA let me copy them. They are probably on a disc I gave the WW&F Archives. The bridge was completely intact and one of the photos is quite good with a side view.
Allan Fisher

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:35:59 PM »
Thanks for the idea, Allan.  I'll get with Bruce when I'm up there in August.

Dave Crow

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »
Dave,
any success on this?

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 12:50:31 PM »
Pete, no, I did not see Bruce back in August nor at the Fall Work Weekend.  In addition, others had mentioned that there had been several offers from bridge designers in Maine to develop the drawings necessary; I'll step back and let the guys up there take care of it when they're ready to move forward.

Dave

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »
That's too bad. I'd really like to see those pics. :-[

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »
Linda Z is now in charge of the Archives, with Alan Socea coming in frequently to lend a hand this coming year.  They've started going through and really starting to figure out what we have and organizing the Archives.  So chances are good that on your next visit a) you'll be able to find someone to talk to about it, and b) they'll know what you are looking for and where it is.

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »
Thanks, James, for the update.  I'm sure that Linda and Alan's work will be a great help for future searches through our archived reference material.

Two projects come to mind: 1) Trout Brook Bridge, and 2) the timber sizes for the turntable.

Dave Crow