Author Topic: Garage - Official Work Thread  (Read 77816 times)

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Garage - Official Work Thread
« on: May 12, 2013, 02:36:22 PM »
No, no, I don't really mean that! I just wanted a shocker headline for this post. :o (You'd think I was trying out for a job at The New York Daily News.)

In a rather short span of time the Museum has acquired a trailer, a tractor and a backhoe……all of course wonderful additions bound to multiply the efforts of the volunteers and help greatly in pursuit of the long-range plan.

But a recent post by Richard Symmes did bring to my mind a problem associated with a growing roster of non-rail equipment manufactured a good many decades after the 1920s, namely, that it complicates the effort by the Museum to portray the 1920s era.

So I wonder whether the Board has given thought to how the non-rail equipment might be kept in a place where it is not so obvious to visitors, or perhaps is hidden from them entirely.

Might it be kept in one section of the parking lot west of Percival once that lot is finished? Maybe behind a tall board fence & gate?

Just a thought by a rarely active volunteer, as usual sitting on his rear at the computer

:o

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Garage - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
We're planning to build a garage somewhere (at this point as an extension of the restrooms) in which to store the Model A, the tractor, and the riding lawn mower.  Once the parking lot is done, we'll probably put the trailer off near the tree line.  I think we may end up putting up another garage for the backhoe and any other motorized road equipment that we get.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:56:29 PM »
These additions are almost a necessity now a days. These are the most economical way for the museum to easily do the little projects that could add up quickly if hired out. Fred and Ken have ensured that the museum has what it needs to continue growing.

I think that the excavator will fit into the 3 bay garage with the lawn mower just fine. Neither of them is very big.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:44:53 PM »
The latest discussions of a garage call for a 3 stall structure that will be n/w of the restroom building.  It will sit at the edge of the parking lot and have doors large enough for the John Deere tractor to fit in with it's canopy on.  The Model AA truck will move over there and the 3rd stall would easily hold the lawn tractor and the Kubota machine.  The garage will be an attractive building that will look good at the end of the parking area.  The location will give easy access to wheeled vehicles of many types and keep the garage away from the railroad buildings.

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »
 James and Mike,   The idea of a garage to store the non rail equipement is a must, just keeping it out of the weather what a plus. Plan for the future in building the size of storage area needs , height and width of doors,  possible add moveal coal bin, and other type equipement.  Todays cost of construction will never be lower. Yes the cost for a somewhat larger building, but added possible uses.   Fred L. Kuhns

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »
Thanks for all these posts. They sure me give a good feeling about the Museum's course of future action, and I'll bet Im not alone in that.

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 06:15:57 AM »
Let me check, but I believe we might an old temporary garage that might be of use. I just can't remember what we did with it when we took it down a few years ago. Even if it isn't lying around anymore, something like a temporary garage might be a workable solution in the short term...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
As most of you know, prep work started a while back with clearing and grading of the site.  The forum thread starts today because the concrete pad was poured today.  The contractor set the forms prior to todays work so they started early this morning pouring the 6" wall risers then pouring the main floor.  The floor was in by lunch time so Fred made lunch for about 8 volunteers and contractors.  This afternoon, some of the forms were removed.  The rest of the forms will be removed on Weds and then the relief cuts in the floor will be made.

The garage is an important project that was moved up on the priority list for a number of reasons.  First of all, much lumber and plywood has been donated for the project.  If anyone has been to the lumber yard lately you know how much 2X6's and plywood cost.  The garage will house the excavator, tractor and Model AA truck.  When the truck moves to the garage, we will get an additional 20' of track space in the south end of bay 3.  (The truck has been in there since the extension was built).  Now there will be room for a locomotive or Big Joe.

Fred surveyed the lumber and there are enough PT 2X6's for the sills.  These could go on as soon as this weekend so framing the building can start soon.    
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:02:23 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:38:13 PM »
So what are the dimensions of this latest facility?

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 02:45:11 PM »
The garage is a 3 and 1/2 car building, measuring 24X40'  There will be 3 bay doors with a 36" door on the front near the restroom building.  A work bench will go in the 1/2 stall, allowing for chainsaws and string trimmers to be worked on.  This will free up the space in the machine shop where the chainsaws have been maintained for years.  Fred is looking forward to having everything in one place for the string band cutting crew.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 04:34:59 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
We could also hang all the trimmers in there, possibly getting rid of the garden shed or maybe relocate it to AC for a storage building.

Yes, Fred has graciously donated all the lumber he could gather, and he said there is more accumulating at his place almost every day. He has even been able to recycle some plywood. This building will be is being built at minimal cost to the museum, but will provide much needed space for the rubber tire brigade.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 06:46:27 AM »
Will the garage be period (i.e. 1909) or modern in appearance?

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:07:07 PM »
Board and Batten, same as bathrooms. On the way home yesterday I picked up some sill seal 100 ft.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 12:09:22 PM »
The garage is on the "modern side" of the campus which includes the Percival house and the areas north/west of the house.  The building will be attractive with board-and-batten walls (like the restroom building) and feature 6 over 6 windows.

Today, the contractor removed the rest of the forms and cut the relief lines.  The foundation is now ready for framing.  Fred is picking up a roll of sill seal strip so we can start putting the pt 2X6s down.  Work may begin on Saturday, depending on weather and the number of volunteers available.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 06:22:15 PM »
The garage foundation with the sill boards down Saturday afternoon 9/21/13.

Some of the equipment waiting for their new home.

United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME