Author Topic: Kubota Excavator - Official Work Thread  (Read 94436 times)

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Kubota Excavator - Official Work Thread
« on: March 20, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
My friends and I were discussing blacksmith tools at an auction yesterday and they said this sale has them plus a forge.  Then the conversion turned to the Case steam engines and shop tools.  Amos Zimmerman (owner) has tons of stuff not listed in the listing.  I suggest that everyone should take a look at the auction listing and the photo gallery.  Easy to get to from I-81.  The photos will enlarge. The backhoe looks interesting for our use.  

Auction list:  http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionview.cgi?lid=1704706

Photo gallery:  http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/photopanel.cgi?listingid=1704706&category=0&zip=&kwd=
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 08:29:49 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: Kubota Excavator - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »
The Kubota Backhoe now belongs to the museum. It should great for use on North Yard and other projects.  It has a width 63" and will fit on a flat car.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
Very, very nice!!
Our members are amazing!!
Gawdon

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »
Ken;
  Many thanks for your continued generosity! I'll bet Mike of RowMow Mfg. is already dreaming about a hi-rail system for it. And, of, course, I'm thinking about a drink holder for it...
Dave

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:45 PM »
How about a flail mower for it, too?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:33:57 PM »
Definitely needs an umbrella for sun protection too.

Ken Fleming

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:49:02 PM »
First things first.

1. The Kubota needs to get to Sheepscot.
2.  Someone needs to "adopt" it.
3.  Need of find a manual for it.
4.  Unit will need a new seat or a least a bottom cushion.
5.  The hood could use some sheet metal work (not much).

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 06:37:21 PM »
I think you need to convert it to steam power so it will "fit the period" the railroad depicts. Either that, or keep it hidden from the public. Or paint it with "Invisium" so nobody can see it. But then you'd have to explain how the operator "floats" in mid-air.  Lots to consider here.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
I second Ken's list but I would probably add a roll-cage for it too.  We do have some steep slopes in places; better safe than sorry.
Moxie Bootlegger

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 08:34:33 PM »
Bravo, Ken! Thank you very much!

I think the newly acquired trailer will take care of the transport problem, won't it?

Just a few days ago a landscaper here in Camden came in with what looked to be the same model Kubota and did some very skillful moving of soil with it. If the problem of getting the proper manual for it is tough, I could check with the landscaper whether he does have the same model and whether he has a manual, and if so whether he'd let me photocopy it     

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »
After I learned of the purchase, I did some research on this Saturday night. It is a Gray Market machine, meaning it was imported to the US without Authorization from Kubota. They offer no manual for it, so I will be making something up as we go.

24 Horse power, and the machine should weigh about 7,000 pounds.

Being I am either the only or one of the only that has experience with this type of machine, I guess I am the lucky one who gets to adopt it. There is not much that can be done about an approved roll cage, unless we can find which model this closely resembles, and purchase one for that. That will be difficult, because all the US versions of Kubota excavators have the cabs on the left side of the boom. Basically when you sit in the operator seat, the boom is on your right. With this one, it is on the other side.

Wayne has been doing some research for Flail mowers. With any luck, the GPM required to run one will match the GPM for this machine and that can be an addition item this can do.

The only down fall to the machine I can see is that it is rubber tired. May have to be careful where we go with it, or the great blue clay of Alna may hinder it's travels.

I told the guys Saturday that a wooden cab may be more appropriate for this, trying to keep it in the right time period and all.

I can say that this excavator WILL be another great addition to the museum. Thank you Ken for finding this and making sure the museum got it.

It will be very useful, and part of the now growing Dirt Division of the WW&F

Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 06:10:17 AM »
Steve, the newly acquired trailer experienced wheel failure during work weekend while it was transporting lumber.  The brake equipment inside the wheel caused the wheel to freeze up.  So for a while at least our trailer is sidelined.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 06:15:05 AM »
There was a contractor in MD that had the same type of Kubota.  He did some grading work for my fire company's parking lot which had a lot of clay.  The machine did well with chains on all four tires.  We should be able to get chains for the machine if they are needed.

Great donation Ken!