W.W.&F. Discussion Forum
July 25, 2014, 04:56:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Notice: Searching for money.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Spring Work Weekend  (Read 3949 times)
Ira Schreiber
Museum Member
Engineer

Life Member

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »

What are the actual dates for 2013 ?
My airline wants to know !
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:52:13 AM by Ed Lecuyer » Logged
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Supervisor

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »

April 26 - 28, 2013.
Steve Smith
Museum Member
Fireman

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »

My airline wants to know !

Oh, Ira, I don't think that was a good idea to acquire an airline. They're notorious money losers, ya know.
Ira Schreiber
Museum Member
Engineer

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »

I have been told it is a flighty investment but I winged it anyway............
Steve Smith
Museum Member
Fireman

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »

Just hope it doesn't lay an egg. (Uh oh, just heard the moderator's warning buzzer!)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Administrator
Inspector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »

(Uh oh, just heard the moderator's warning buzzer!)

No, I'll let this discussion fly for now. It hasn't reached the delta necessitating its transport to Whimsical, Weirdness, and Foolery. If it does, I'll jet it over there.

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum
Wayne Laepple
Museum Member
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »

To ground this conversation before it gets too flighty, can someone describe the agenda for the Spring Work Session, coming up in just six week?
James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Supervisor

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:48:57 PM »

The agenda, roughly speaking:

* Track maintenance
* Sheepscot Station: residing the last side, priming and painting
* Freight Shed: scraping and painting
* Food!
* Restrooms
* Alna Center grounds work?
* Dealing with switches and throws
John McNamara
Operating Volunteers
Engineer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »

I have two magneto telephone projects to add to the list, each about an hour's labor at most.

1. Re-install the green telephone box at end-of-track. It had been vandalized, and I took it home for repair. I will bring it with me. It needs to be re-installed. Personnel required: two. Tools required: 9/16" wrench.

2. At the telephone terminal box across from Albee's rail pile, replace one of the small bolts that secures the outlet and associated cover. The hole in the box has become stripped, so a threaded machine screw (which will be supplied) is needed. Personnel required: one, but two is better. Tools required: medium-size flat and Phillips screwdrivers.
Mike Fox
Museum Member
Supervisor

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 07:48:17 PM »

I would like to add to the AC grounds work. It seems out pile by the trestle has migrated 1/2 mile north, and landed across from the station at AC. I would like to see this stuff gone. It is an eyesore, trip hazard and potential injury to any one of us or our guests. I would like to see it all loaded up and hauled to the transfer station. ASAP. I know it was intended for the burn pile, but we will make more this summer. Lets get it gone.

Mike
Head Membership Secretary (yes I have Minions), Life Member, President of ROWMOW 1 Manufacturing, Inc., Permanent pain in the neck
Stewart "Start" Rhine
Museum Member
Supervisor

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:54:09 PM »

Good point Mike.  We didn't use all the scrap wood at Christmas so we could either burn more of it or haul it away.  When the road firms up the AA can get into Alna Center so we can take a load out.  One thing - please leave the wooden box that sits right by the siding, it holds kindling for the station stove.

Stewart
Stephen Hussar
Museum Member
Conductor

Life Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

Photos taken yesterday. In order to allow some drying out, Stewart prepped the station for work weekend. Meanwhile Zack continued work inside the restroom building...

Stewart "Start" Rhine
Museum Member
Supervisor

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »

Nice pics Stephen.  Yes, the station will get much needed repairs at the WW.  Removing the rotten wood allows the main 6X6 sill to dry out.  It's in good shape so we will treat it with linseed oil.  This will be done prior to the WW.  The 2X6 that sits on the main sill is gone (you can see the holes through it) and will be replaced with a PT 2X6.  The lower third of the wall needs new underlayment. The door frame and casing will be replaced and the new (correct) antique door installed.  Once these steps are done the new clap boards will go on and the station sign put back.  The building will look more like the original station, maybe even better than new.

One thing that doesn't show in the photograph ... there were some interesting things found under the old clap boards.  I think Brendan got a pictiure of them.

Stewart  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:02:43 PM by Stewart Rhine » Logged
Brendan Barry
Museum Member
Hostler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 09:24:38 PM »

The new door for the station.

Back of the freight house ready for scraping and paint.

James Patten
Wearer of Too Many Hats
Global Moderator
Supervisor

Loco for 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »

Long range forecast currently has Friday & Saturday with sunny/mostly sunny weather, in the upper 50s.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: