Author Topic: Steam Volunteer Question  (Read 4281 times)

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Steam Volunteer Question
« on: December 31, 2008, 07:53:30 PM »
Howdy,

As I have mentioned elsewhere in this forum, I am a member of the Steam Team at the MNGRR.

I realize that there is a 100 hour minimum of volunteer time required at the WW&F to get "on the train," a fair a just rule by the way. My question is this: What is the amount of time after that to be eleigible to work in the steam program from an operations point?
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Volunteer Question
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 12:18:08 AM »
Bill,

There's a 150 hour minimum to get on the train.  Once that happens the volunteer is trained as a brakeman, then after time as a brakeman can move into the fireman position, then engineer.  There's a separate path for conductor, and a third path for non-steam engines.   Training time and time as a brakeman can be compressed if the person trained is already a brakeman somewhere else, and the person picks up on our way of signaling and braking fairly quickly.

Our intent was to emulate how the railroads used to advance people, but not in such a fashion that it takes a lifetime to advance.  Also our signals are designed to be generally familiar to most railroaders, although I've been told that some are much different.

James
Training Officer

Bruce Wilson

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:55:12 PM »
Also our signals are designed to be generally familiar to most railroaders, although I've been told that some are much different.
James,
I had a good laugh remembering a time at Edaville when I was attempting to hand signal a back up move using the established W.W. & F. motions to indicate car length distance to a stop. The engineer (a former New Haven freight conductor) brought his train to a stop well short of the "spot" and after setting the hand brake, he bailed off the diesel. As he approached the station platform, I asked him where he was going. He indicated that he thought I was swatting at flies and that he was going for coffee. Though he too was a W.W. & F. Ry. Museum life member, he told me I was a "lilliput" and he went on his way to the Edaville snack bar.

Anyone who ever knew and worked with Don Constantineau knew he almost always had a smile on his face...

Bruce
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 01:40:49 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Wanted: Copies of correspondence and photographs from "first generation narrow gage railfans" such as Linwood Moody, Dick Andrews, Lawrence Brown, Ellis Atwood, H.T. Crittenden and others. Interested in all two foot (U.S.) rail operations, common carrier, industrial/mill and park/museum.

Brian Murphy

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 07:54:57 PM »
Bruce,

I applied for a job this winter at Edaville. But no luck. I live only about a half hour away. Do you have to be 18 to be a part of their train crew, I'll be 18 on june 18.

brian

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 05:34:44 PM »
James,

Does WW&F require it's steam engineers to have State of Maine High Pressure Boiler Operators licenses? This is one of our requirements at MNGRR. We also highly encourage potential steam engineers to take the boiler operators course at SMCC. I took this and it helps broaden your knowledge of steam though it is geared towards large stationary plants.

For us, once an engineer, always an engineer. We were glad to have Brian (Fanslau) help us out during Polar Express. It was great to see him. We like to feel that his is always part MNGRR even though he' lives closer to WW&F.

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
Does WW&F require it's steam engineers to have State of Maine High Pressure Boiler Operators licenses?

Yes we do.

Also our signals are designed to be generally familiar to most railroaders, although I've been told that some are much different.

An example of this: one of our volunteers is the former Chief of Police on LIRR.  He's told me our stop signal is their washout, and our half-car length is their stop.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
re: the hand signals
As it is on most railroads.....