Author Topic: MNG 2013 Work Sessions (Track and Steam)  (Read 9494 times)

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
MNG 2013 Work Sessions (Track and Steam)
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
Steam Work session this Saturday 2/2/13
This will be a fairly light work sesssion (planning for #4 and #7's winter/spring work), but all that are capable are welcome to come by and lend a hand should there be anything beyond that.
Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: MNG 2013 Work Sessions (Track and Steam)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 10:06:04 PM »
Is there a chance we might see #7 up and running by the end of this year? :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Dylan Lambert

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 07:12:40 AM »
If I remember the details for the current fundraising effort correctly, a check with a 1 and five zeroes would fill the coffers nicely... No decimal points though. Not to say raising $100,000 isn't impossible. But dependant on funding, it might take another two to four years. Am I to far off on my assessment?

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:39 PM »
It would be amazing to see both the WW&F and Maine Narrow Gauge have #7 and #9 running for the 2014, or 2016 Narrow Gauge Convention. That would be quite a show. Especially if one or both operations could have two engines fired up.

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
2/2/13 Steam Work Session Report
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 03:05:27 PM »
Members of the steam crew assembled for our first session of the year.  This session will mark the beginning of our transition from heavy repairs and maintenance on 4 to rejuvenating the effort on 7. Items accomplished:

Finished removing baffling and petticoat from engine 4 smokebox, and installing a wooden cover plate over the blastpipe ports, and vacuuming out the smokebox.

Borescope examination of the water side for bad stays (using my new toy from Santa) - 1 stay tagged for replacement.

Removed fireman's injector and water feed piping to repair water valve and install water feed ball valve.

Removed fireman's water glass for repacking. Nuts removed from glass retaining bolts - unit left soaking in WD40 to loosen bolts  for next time. 

Continued needle scaling and scraping frame on 7.  Completed aft frame casting in the firebox area and primed.

Measurements taken around tank for deck pad material.

Procured half inch bolts for mounting cab to the deck - intent is to make the cab removable for boiler maintenance.

General refamiliarization of where we are and what needs to be done next and what parts are lying around.

Very productive session, thanks to Bill, Trevor, Jay, Kyle, Hansel, Colby, Tim, and Dakota.  My apologies if I forgot someone. 

Joe Monty

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:09:02 PM »
Thanks for posting Bill. It is great to see some younger guys like yourself jumping in. It is a great learning experience.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 03:42:28 PM »
Been quite a bit going on with work sessions this season.

I'll spare the details, but two more steam work sessions prior to our Polar Express season are in the works.

Nov 2 - We will be doing the 31 day inspection on #4. Should be about a half a days work if everything is in order.

Nov 9 - This day will be for any final repairs (if) needed on #4. Also will be doing steam hose installation/testing on the Polar Express consist, as well as finishing the steam cleaning of the #7 chasis. #4 will be providing the steam on all accounts.

There will also be track work sessions if there are bodies available. Anyone is welcome to come down and lend a hand on either set of projects.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

Also will be doing steam hose installation/testing on the Polar Express consist, as well as finishing the steam cleaning of the #7 chassis. #4 will be providing the steam on all accounts.

You mean you HEAT the cars?  ;D

-John

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

Also will be doing steam hose installation/testing on the Polar Express consist, as well as finishing the steam cleaning of the #7 chassis. #4 will be providing the steam on all accounts.

You mean you HEAT the cars?  ;D

-John

If anything, people complain that the cars are too hot. Must be the fireman trying to hide his over-sized fire...

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 11:46:01 AM »
Good turnout for the Nov 2 work session. In attendance were Dakota Dumont, Tim Averill, Don Wildes, Bill Piche, Joe Monty, and Don Sanger.

Dakota, Tim, Bill, and Don S.  got to work on the wood pile. A big thanks to Dakota and Tim for bringing a gas powered splitter. It made short work of a pile that probably would have taken all day to split down to size with hand tools. With the logs taken care of, attention switched to the last of the planking hiding out in the weeds by the boxcars on the hill behind the yard. Three bucket loads of planking were fetched, cut to length, and removed of the majority of screws.

Over at the engine house, Don W and Joe were busy doing a thorough cleaning of #4's boiler inside and out. Tubes were punched with an air tool, and a complete boiler wash was done. Joe also repaired a hole in the bottom of the smoke box and replaced the B&M 5 chime whistle with #4's "original" B&M 6 chime that had been on for many of her years at Edaville and MNG.

After the volunteer luncheon, work continued on #4, with Bill and Tim replacing the fireman's side injector.

Since the boiler had to be heated to remove the free oxygen and the injector tested, we fired #4 up to working pressure and took her out for a run up and down the line with diesel #1 for dead weight. Everything that was worked on appears to be good to go for Polar now.

Next work session is Nov 16 (not Nov 9th as originally reported here). This will be to install/test steam hoses and do the steam clean of #4 and the 2nd half of #7.

See you there!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:55:38 AM by Bill Piche »