Author Topic: New steam locomotive at Edaville USA ?  (Read 43177 times)

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
New steam locomotive at Edaville USA ?
« on: December 27, 2012, 09:24:37 PM »
Just saw a blurb on the Edaville USA website about a new steam locomotive which supposedly is to be running by June, 2013.

There were a couple of pictures of what seemed to be a new firebox, but no information.

Does anyone know anything about this?

I also heard rumors that the Edaville land owner (Della Priscoli?) was seeking to buy / lease B&H #8 from MNG, and return it to Edaville. With only 2 miles of track remaining, why would you need more trains? Another rumor has them rebuilding some of the original loop, bypassing the old Mt. Urann segment which I understand is now apartments or condos.

Who knows the straight scoop on all of this?

Richard

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: New steam locomotive at Edaville USA ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 09:34:58 PM »
Seems that since Deli Priscolli has gotten hi Grafton and Upton off the ground in good shape, he is more able to focus back on Edaville. It's about time, and hope he can make something of it again. I know it will never be what it was, but something is better than nothing.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:16:04 PM »
Boy, I agree with that. The present Edaville USA is really nothing more than what the old Pleasure Island park in Wakefield, Mass. used to be in the 1960s. . . i.e., a kiddie amusement park with a short train ride.

I doubt the MNG would part with #8 under any circumstances.

But as for this "new" locomotive. . . what could that be?

Richard

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »
So did a little searching and found this.
http://m.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121220/ENTERTAIN/212200317/-1/ENTERTAIN07&template=wapart

So it's one of the 30" porters? Only thing I can think of.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 05:03:49 PM »
This must be the project going on at Boothbay.  I reported on two locomotives heading to BRV here: http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php?topic=1729.0.

Mike Arnold

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
    • Twin Forks NRHS
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 06:44:51 PM »
So are they converting one to a forney? Like Edaville tried to do with the ex C&NW 0-4-0 in I believe the 1990s which is now at railstar in NY. If so may have to make my first trip up that way since I was 4 in the mid 1980s. Wow I feel old even though I'm only 30.
Mike
United States Merchant Marine.
Cadet at NY Maritime College

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:47:37 PM »
So, is this like the old TV quiz show, "I've Got A Secret", with Garry Moore?

Is it one of the old S.D.Warren Co. locos?  Those were at Boothbay already.  They had their fireboxes cut out and gasoline engines put in with tranny driving the rear axle.  They were once used at some park in New Jersey.

There was a story circulating that they were to have their boilers restored to operate on steam?

Are we getting warm yet?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Richard, you're getting warm but it's a different firepit you're getting your heat from.  Yes, to the best of my knowledge, BRV has hopes of restoring one of the SD Warren engines to steam operation someday.   But it would be for operation on their own line. 

My vision of them was only a few seconds long, and I haven't been to BRV all this year, but I believe the two engines headed to BRV are already Forneys.  I guess the task is turn two non-operable engines into one operating engine.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:26 AM »
Judging from the cab windows and the steam chests I'm guessing it might be from Europe.

Ed Delory

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »
Just to add anther thought to this I rember that at one time there was a Hencshel that carried the #6 and they took it to New Hampshire at christmas time. Only a guess but they did run a Hencshel and it looked like it worked well?
Always Steam

Mark Spremulli

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • How Do?
    • View Profile
    • Mark Spremulli Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »
I can't really see MNGRR's reason for not giving up 8. Who cares if Edaville isn't a museum or not anymore. Isn't more important to see the equipment in good running shape and let it rot away.
Keep Calm and Get Steamed

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
I can't really see MNGRR's reason for not giving up 8. Who cares if Edaville isn't a museum or not anymore. Isn't more important to see the equipment in good running shape and let it rot away.
Given some of the Edaville bashing that occurs on some of these internet threads, is there any reason to believe that #8 would be safer at Edaville than at MNGRR?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »
[Mods note]
Let's not get out of hand on discussing whether or not B&SR/B&H #8 would be better off at Edaville or MNG. I suspect the conversation could turn into a bashing of either (or both) organizations.

Thanks.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
That locomotive in the Edaville picture looks to be an 0-4-0 from Germany, of the type that Germans call a Feldbahn-Dampflokomotive, or Feldbahnlok for short. Rather common with those locos is use of an exterior steam line from a steam dome down the side of the boiler to the steam chest, one such pipe  on each side. I think I see the left-side steam line running down from the front dome. Also, as mentioned earlier the cab windows look very similar to those of a typical Feldbahnlok.

The heat loss through those exposed steam pipes must have been wicked.

I'll attempt to post two photos showing a Feldbahnlok in a transportation museum in Munich, plus one showing the English-language caption.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:12:38 PM by Ed Lecuyer »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
I wonder if that photo is a couple of years old when they borrowed one of Boothbays locomotives?
Mike
Doing way too much to list...