Author Topic: North Yard Project - Official Work Thread  (Read 97964 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: North Yard Project - Official Work Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
As long as the machining gets done for the switches Ken, there will be plenty of work in the spring. 5 switches to lay and all the track that joins them. As well as other ongoing projects.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 06:34:28 AM »
Before laying track in the North Yard there a few trees that need to be cut down. Would M.L.K. weekend be a good time to do that, providing the snow is not too deep. As far as the restroom project goes, there will be only mudding and taping on the sheetrock. A lot of people would be just standing around on that project.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
Speaking of the restrooms, how about conducting a lottery to see who will have the honor of being the first to USE it?   Tickets could be sold for, say, $5.00 each. Then a drawing would be held and the winner would get to be "first" user. The Museum would get all the money. 

Continuing along this line, the present "Porta-Potty" could be ceremoniously crushed and buried at some convenient place on the property, or converted into a storage shed or whatever, with its guts removed.
Something which has "served" the Museum so long deserves to be memorialized in some fashion.

Is this "thinking outside the box", or what? (sorry).

Richard

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 09:30:31 AM »
The trees by the North Yard will have to be cut long before we get rid of the porta potty. That lottery idea stinks!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:32 AM »
The portapot is rented.  It will be returned when the restrooms are in service.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
Well there should at least be a transitional "retirement" ceremony.  A "last" use of the old and a "first" use of the new facility.  I expect resident photographer Hussar to come up with some award winning shots of this milestone event.

It might even rate a commemorative T shirt or sweatshirt for the "in crowd".  The changeover from Porta Potty to permanent restrooms is right up there with reaching Top of the Mountain or the first steam up of restored #9, as far as I'm concerned.  Having used the current "facilities" in all temperature extremes over the years, I count this advance as second to none in the Museum's history.

I mean, gee WHIZ.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 11:47:45 AM »
I posed the "first use" question to Zack a month or two ago, and he claimed that it was customary for the plumber in charge to have the honor - something about "product testing." ;D

-John

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 12:12:37 PM »
No matter who is first, they will be "flush" with pride.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 12:25:08 PM »
In my opinion, the best train oriented tourist restroom has to be at Clark's Trading Post where the "facilities" are in an impressive granite building at the end of the commercial street shops. It is named the "River Bank" (backed up to the Pemigewasset River). It has all kinds of tongue-in-cheek humor in gold leaf letters on the windows, such as "New deposits welcome", etc.  It is a classic, yet it also is spotlessly clean and has baby changing stations, hot air hand dryers, etc. First class in every way, while maintaining a great sense of fun.

Richard

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 12:36:06 PM »
We can cut the trees before the track is put down, or after. It will be much better before the end of April. I know I'm going out on a limb talking about work, but that's my make-up.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 01:26:15 PM »
Gee Fred,  I knew you wood get back to tree cutting.  Are you talking about the ones along where the "woods track" will go?

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 02:51:44 PM »
No! 3 behind the section house, and some pines that have had their roots torn up and near where the car barn is to be built. Probably the hardwood trees are O.K. if not leaning towart the buildings that are to be built.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 03:16:58 PM »
Fred,
Happy New Year! Bill and I will be pleased to assist you with the trees on MLK Saturday. I'll mention it to a friend with a chainsaw as well.
Dave

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 04:17:08 PM »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:53:27 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Now we're getting somewhere!

Unfortunately, this will be a one-time-only event, not something to do every year like the Picnic and Victorian Christmas.

Let's see TRAINS Magazine do an article on this historic event!!!

Has anyone done any research on the toilets in the original WW&F coaches?  I assume they were the open hopper variety like the standard gauge units.  I have a vivid memory of one of those. This is a true story -- you can't make up stuff this good.

Years ago when I was a volunteer on the Wolfeboro Railroad, we were using the old LO&S wooden motor car that had been leased from Strasburg RR.  While waiting in the siding at Cotton Valley to meet the steam train, engineer Charlie Ruff and I were outside the car, while the conductor who's name I can't recall, remained inside.  As we sat on the ground beside the car, Charlie spotted something on the rear truck that he decided to investigate.  He was describing some sort of defect to me as we crawled under the car for a better look. As we were checking it out, we suddenly felt warm liquid running down on us from above. He looked at me and I looked at him with a, "what the frig?", look, when it suddenly dawned on us that we were beneath the hopper and being peed on by the conductor. We rolled out from under the car and stood up sputtering and swearing.  Just then, the steam train passed us.  We tried to brush ourselves off as best we could and got back on the car.  The conductor was walking down the aisle. We had no passengers, so no one had seen what happened.  We didn't say a word about it to the conductor and as far as I know he never realized what he had done. The remainder of the trip was uneventful.  I've been p'd off many times before and since, but never p'd on.

Another "true tales of the rails" story to be filed in New England railroad history archives.

Richard