Author Topic: WW&F #10 at Pleasure Island  (Read 6618 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
WW&F #10 at Pleasure Island
« on: July 09, 2012, 07:30:43 AM »
A couple of interesting photos were posted recently on NE Rail of Edaville 5, now WW&F 10 at Pleasure Island in Wakefield, MA:
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=201601
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=201602
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F #10 at Pleasure Island
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
Good pictures. I remember it well.  They apparently were taken in 1969, which was the last year of the park.  It had opened in summer of 1959, and at that time the narrow gauge railroad was run with one of the Monson locomotives (I think it was #3; I'd have to double check my photos) and some of the Bridgton & Harrison closed coaches, along with some of the excursion flats from Edaville.

In the two photos which were taken in front of Wakefield's former B&M Greenwood depot, you can see the steep grade leading down in the right background. That was the ruling grade on the railroad, plus being on a tight curve, so they really had to get a run for it.  Running "clockwise" was much easier, and they did that at first.  Once, in a sudden summer shower, the train got stuck trying to make that steep grade. They'd get about 1/3 to 1/2 way up and lose traction.  The sanders were not working, so they finally backed all the way down and, using two coffee cans, the crew scooped up sand from the roadbed and poured it on the railheads.  After that, they were finally able to get the train back up to the station. Everyone in the open cars got drenched, but I enjoyed the experience.  Fond memories, indeed.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 10:06:22 AM »
FANTASTIC FOOTAGE of #10 at Pleasure Island was just posted on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/D4FH1Riq9zk

Multiple scenes from 1964 and 1965 are included, featuring fire up, runbys, servicing, and a cab ride.

Thanks to ?Bill Robie for posting it.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Bob Springs

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
Interesting to see the earlier closed in cab. 
I had to build my 7 1/2 version this way as the cab sides open as doors and there has to be something there to support the cab roof at the back.

Bob Holmes

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »
Wow, she is tiny!  It will be great to have her back again as it gives a whole different perspective on the range of two foot locos, culminating in #8 (and our new #7)

John Meixel

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 01:43:57 PM »
Yes Bill Robie posted it.  He is one on the trustees at the Colorado Railroad Museum.  Last Saturday he told me these were all 16 mm which is why they look so good!  He worked on the train crew there and at Edaville.  I lived in Massachusetts and visited Pleasure Island several times in the early 1960s.  This was the first steam train I ever rode!  Of course I didn't know anything about Maine two foot gauge or anything about gauge at all back then!