Author Topic: October 2012 Work Weekend  (Read 28274 times)

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
October 2012 Work Weekend
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:31:26 PM »
Is there a schedule of projects for the Fall work weekend?
I just made my flight and motel reservations.
I got a Jet Blue flight Denver/Boston for $250 round trip including taxes and one free bag.
Ira
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 07:42:56 AM by Ed Lecuyer »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: October Work Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »
That's a great deal Ira.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: October Work Weekend
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 04:02:31 PM »
I can't speak for track work, but the hope was that on the restrooms there would be a pile of lumber which would turned into something useful (walls, roof, etc).

Duncan Mackiewicz

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: October 2012 Work Weekend
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
I do plan to attend the fall work weekend. If the plans for a pile of lumber and a "restroom raising" come to fruition, I can bring some air-nailing capabilities if there is any interest.
Duncan

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:01:03 AM »
The plan of work for the Track Crew will be as follows:

1.  We will spend two days doing heavy maintenance on the mainline commencing where we left off in Albee's Field and proceeding north.

2.  We will spend part of one day (or all as needed) moving the sawmill now located at Sheepscot Mills to Alna Center.

3.  We will spend part or all of one day moving the rail now stored at Sheepscot Yard to a new rail pile near the EOT.  We may have to construct the rail pile structure as well.

I'm sure there will be other projects going on, too, so there will be plenty of work for everyone and for all skill levels.  Hope to see you there.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »
So what's happening with the sawmill (since you mention it) ?

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
Our goal (long term + $) for the sawmill is to set it up and to run it using the stationary steam engine currently stored in Sheepscot yard.  There will be a siding to the mill that will run off the passing track at Alna Center.

Fred Morse

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
A few trees may have to be cut before its set up. Maybe 3 or 4. The poplar trees keep breaking of and could do damage to the mill.

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »
Our goal (long term + $) for the sawmill is to set it up and to run it using the stationary steam engine currently stored in Sheepscot yard.  There will be a siding to the mill that will run off the passing track at Alna Center.

SWEET!

Steve Zuppa

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
The folks that come for the work weekends have shown that they support the volunteer work ethic. With that in mind, I would like to announce to all that on Sat. night, Oct.6, from 4:30 to 6:30, our own Alna Volunteer Fire Dept. will hold its fall ham and bean supper at the Fire House on 218. As the name implies, the fare will be ( the best) ham (you ever tasted), homemade baked beans, salads, rolls and deserts, home baked by the locals. Play your cards right and you can bid on the best homemade pies to take home( or share with your fellow RR guys).Sure, you can eat for free at the RR but not to worry. Whatever's left over on Sunday, you can have for lunch. Bon appetit. 
Don't ask me. I only cut the grass. Oops, I don't even do that anymore.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
Big Joe doesn't have his own thread, so I'll hijack this one and put up this photo of Big Joe preparing to undergo a complete conversion to hydraulic working:

It's a bit of a cluttered picture, but the key point is to the right of the up/down lever in the middle.  There's 2 levers on the right side of the machine.  These were cleaned up by Mike and installed on Saturday.  They are hydraulicly powered levers.  They aren't hooked up yet, but this is the future of Big Joe (Big Joe version 3?)

What you can't see is a ram installed in between the tamping heads, which will push the heads out to tamp outside the rails, also hydraulic.  Wiring has been fixed (see the thick blue wire near the bottom of the photo) as has been the existing hydraulics.

I don't know if the plan is to have it fully converted for the work weekend or not.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
The plan is to try and have it done by work weekend, but in the event the new modifications are not complete, it is still operational as the original version 2 or 3, or whichever version we were on before we started this one.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 06:02:40 PM »
Repairs to be made to Sheepscot Station -

As most of you know, the south end of the depot was rebuilt with new sub-wall and clapboards by a crew on the last Work Weekend.  Since that time, rotten clapboards were removed from the back and new clapboards put about half way up.  Work stopped because funds ran out and no more clapboards were purchased during the Summer.  Additional clapboards have now been been purchased and a replacement door has been delivered so supplies are on hand for the Fall Work Weekend.  The plan is to remove the rest of the rotten clapboards, fix any sub-wall and install new clapboards.  The replacement door is a bit smaller so a new frame must be built to hang the door.  (The old door is 6" too wide).  The replacement clap boards are pre-primed so if the weather is good new paint can go on. 

Sheepscot Freight House -

Some work has been done removing the old peeling paint but much more is needed.  New paint is on hand to paint the building if the weather permits.  More staging will be set up for crew safety around the structure. 

Steve Z. will probably lead the work on the depot and I may be the one setting up the freight house crew.

Stewart     

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 04:18:16 PM »
Weather info -

The weather service has forecast the weekend as follows.  Things will start off sunny then a cold front will pass through Saturday afternoon/evening lowering temperatures and bringing a chance of rain late Saturday into Sunday morning.

Day by Day:

Friday - Sunny, high temp 75

Saturday - Increasing clouds with a chance of rain late, high temp 65

Sunday - Better chance of rain, mostly in the morning, high temp 55

Monday - Sunny, high temp 55

So, If you are coming to work bring clothes for a Fall day, monsonmonsoon, and beach party.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 04:44:06 PM »
Weather info -

So, If you are coming to work bring clothes for a Fall day, monsonmonsoon, and beach party.
At least the black flies are gone.....

Keith