Author Topic: WW&F Visits....  (Read 150686 times)

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
WW&F Visits....
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:58 PM »
As was suggested somewhere, we should have a topic of the WW&F being proudly represented in our travels.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
Re: WW&F Visits....
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
...TVRM, Chattanooga, TN
"The Three Nitwits" sent in by Dale Renolds
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »
Those of you that have ever visited Moody's Diner in Waldoboro have probably seen photos adorning the walls of people wearing Moodys-themed clothing in various places of the world - from Antartica to the Himalayas.  The "photo that started it all" is of a guy wearing a Moody's t-shirt in front of some of the Egyptian pyramids.

Not quite the Egyptian pyramids, but Dale's is the Photo That Started It All.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:48 AM »
In Beverly, Mass., we have a local sandwich shop called, "Nick's Roast Beef" (excuse me, Nick's FAMOUS Roast Beef -- doesn't it seem as if ALL such places call themselves FAMOUS?).  Anyway, they have an entire wall covered with snapshots of customers posed with a Nick's bumper sticker in every part of the world, just as the Moody's ones you describe.   Now they even have a website so that more and more photos can be posted.  As you mention, there are people in Antarctica, at the summit of Mt. Everest, on the Burma "Death Railway", in Moscow, etc. Quite a show. The roast beef is pretty good, too, even if maybe not FAMOUS.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »
No photos, but last Sunday I visited the West Chester RR here in Pennsylvania and the Wilmington & Western nearby in Delaware. I was wearing my green WW&F polo shirt, and at both places one guy asked me about it, and when he learned I was a volunteer, each said it seemed from everything they'd seen on line that we have a lot of fun while getting a lot of work done. I, in turn, invited both to come and visit. I guess I should carry some brochures when I wear that shirt!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:11:54 AM »
...Steamtown, Scranton, PA
July 2011

This trip also included a visit to the Strasburg Railroad (also in WW&F garb), but I don't have any pictures.

Past trips (in WW&F wear) include:
- Walt Disney World/Disney Railroad (FL)
- East Broad Top (PA)
- Ashland Coal Mine and Railroad (PA)
- Clark's Trading Post/White Mountain Central (NH)
[Again, no pics that I know of.]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:17:14 AM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
I have a WW&F hat with a pin for each location I have been since I purchased the hat. No pictures though. Will have to start doing that.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »
Porthmadog, Wales, United Kingdom.

Kevin Madore

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
    • My Flicker Albums
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:25:59 AM »
Well, maybe not an "official visit", but.....Skagway, Alaska. 

Go to this page: http://www.wpyr.com/news/rotaryevent2011.html

Down at the bottom of the page is a little video.  Play that sucker and pay special attention to the interviews at the end.  My apologies that you have to sit through several minutes to see it, but I think you'll be able to put up with it!  ;D

/Kevin

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
Nice Kevin.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 07:51:27 AM »
Thanks, Kevin!!

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
On NH Chronical tonight, during a segment on a doo-wop band, a WW&F hat was spotted being worn by someone in the crowd. It went by pretty quickly so I didn't catch who it was wearing it.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Fred Clark

• Museum Member
  • Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
A copy of the guy in video.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »
In Oct 2012, I visited my "office" in Billings, Montana. (For those who don't know, I am blessed to work from home - the main corporate office is in Billings.) However, it is probably a good thing that I don't have an office there - I wouldn't get ANY work done.

The office is adjacent to the Montana Rail Link main line and features several trains each hour. Not just little locals - but *BIG* trains - unit coal, aircraft parts/fuselages, double-stacks, etc. Stuff we only see in TRAINS magazine here in New England.

Here's a shot of a BNSF freight cruising by the office. The picture is taken from inside the office building overlooking where the freight dock would have been.

The office itself is in an old Amour meat packing building - picture of historic designation.

Later that week, I was in Barstow, CA. I didn't have time to really visit the MASSIVE yard and (smaller) museum there. I grabbed one photo of the museum as I left town:

Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »
Due to the Blizzard of 2013, I am stuck in the Pacific Northwest for a few days. I decided to take a chance and visit a place I had long admired from afar - the Sumpter Valley Railroad outside of Baker City, OR.

The SVRR is very similar to the WW&F, in that they have reconstructed a narrow gauge railroad on its original ROW. They are also a mostly-volunteer outfit.

I showed up at their yards at about 9am today (Sat., 2/9/2013), hoping to put in a day's work as a volunteer. I was greeted by Eric Wunz and his two dogs: Cinders and Ashes. While he has never visited the WW&F, he knew of us, and proceeded to give me the grand tour.

The SVRR has few active volunteers who are local. Plus, with no heat in the shop buildings, they pretty much shut down for the winter. So, there would be no real activities today - except for a BOD meeting off site.

Eric (with assistance from Ashes and Cinders) gave me a fine tour of their shops, facilities and equipment. We did move a few empty welding tanks into his truck for filling. I lingered around the grounds (with permission) a bit after he left, but with everything covered in snow, it was not worth the effort to do extended exploring.

I drove to the other end of their railroad - about 5 miles long - to Sumpter to see the HUGE gold dredging machine there. Again, everything was closed up, but worth seeing.

Finally, I learned that the SVRR depot in Baker City is restored as part of a "railroad park" along the UPRR main line. I checked that out, but nothing came through.

Photo by Eric Wunz. Note the WW&F cap.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:59:53 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum