Author Topic: Future Replica Rolling Stock Ideas  (Read 3991 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Future Replica Rolling Stock Ideas
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
I knew there are really old topics in this forum that mention a few ideas. After watching the Reefer Car #65 project, It reminded me of these old topics like building a replica WW&F combine or baggage car for Wheelchair acess, a replica 2 foot tank car, and a few other things that I cant remember right now that I know was talked about here awhile ago. Are these ideas still on the long term plan table when the right amount of money comes into play?  ???  :)
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
Re: Future Replica Rolling Stock Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:55 PM »
There are all kinds of different replica cars the museum would love to build, given the time, money, and man power to do so, as well as proper areas to store said rolling stock. As of right now, before to much more happens, we would like to get the car barn built, so that we can house the cars under a roof, and out of the weather. Some current idea/plans that have been talked about, would be a replica car 5, which had a baggage door on one end, which would be great for wheelchairs, a replica Coach 6, wich was a Mail/Baggage/Coach smoking car (the smoking part would probably be left out), a flanger for possible winter operations if we should decide to try to do operations in the winter months, and restoring the B&SR tank that is currently outside of the engine house, and building a flat car to put it on, and using the car as an extra fire patrol car. This project would be very valuable, especially in watering the line on high fire dangers, or having stored some where to use if a fire should occur. This would allow fire crews to put out fires with a large amount of water without needing to use their fire trucks to reach the railroad grade.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:25:24 PM »
As Joe mentions, it depends on money and manpower.  It would be really nice to have some replica coaches or combines.  But we need undercover storage space for them!

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 10:53:01 AM »
I know and I also heard about a track plan was posted awhile ago that showed a future look of what Sheepscot could look like if the Car Barn, Restrooms, and other buildings were added to the yard. I think it showed a Car Barn off the the right side of the Car Shop.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.