Author Topic: Public Restroom Project - Official Work Thread  (Read 102930 times)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Public Restroom Project - Official Work Thread
« Reply #165 on: July 16, 2013, 04:45:31 PM »
The newer style mats with the stiff rubber backing and solid rubber tapered edge are not a problem for wheelchairs.  I have seen them in ADA compliant entrances, restrooms, etc.  Of course if we get one of those mats it's something else that will need cleaning so maybe it's better to just sweep and mop the floor.  I guess we will know how bad the floor will get after the building is in use through the seasons.

One thing is for sure, electric consumption has increased.  With the new restroom lights, hand dryers, sewage water pumps and well pump running with increased water usage, the electric bill will jump.  We don't know the amount of increase yet but more funds will go to CMP so if anyone wants to make donations to the general fund it will be appreciated.   

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
July's bill (which arrives in early August) will have the full effect of the new restrooms.  I second Stewart's plea!

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 16, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2013, 01:37:55 PM »
We also need a walk off mat for the front hallway.  That will help keep the restroom floors clean.  Anyone have a (approx 3X5') new or good used one to donate?
I mentioned that to Zack and he said we couldn't have that because of wheelchair access problems. I'm confused by that. I know that small scatter rugs are a problem in older people's homes because of falls and tripping, but I would think very large mats would be OK. I'd like to be able to say, "But the Maine Turnpike rest areas have mats," but they don't. I think further research is necessary.

-John

Having spent considerable time in a wheelchair....I can tell you that negotiating mats can be very difficult. The steering wheels get caught in the mat and you lose the ability to change direction easily, and the rolling resistance is much increased.
The amount of effort required to move yourself with just your arms goes up dramatically.
Of course, just getting to the restrooms over the dirt pathways will be enough of an obstacle....
Keith

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2013, 09:26:25 PM »
Keith, if I interpret pages 14 and 15 of the long range plan correctly, the intent is to make the path to the restroom building accessible to the handicapped, which seems to imply pavement. Keeping such in good repair despite the effects of frost will be a burden, but is clearly very important.

The retirement community where I live has a total of--rough guess--perhaps a mile of asphalt aggregate-paved walkways that have held up rather well in the time they've been in place--I think eight years. Some patching has been required, though.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
There are plans for all weather path ways, stopping short of paving them. The last conversation was for what we at work call brown pack, which is a recycled asphalt product. It stand up to weather better than plain gravel, and provides a somewhat solid surface for travel. I have had this in my driveway for well over 10 years, and the only thing that I do is drag it smooth once a year or so, mainly because my driveway has a slope. This type of product would be excellent for the almost level pathways we will have.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2013, 08:25:56 PM »
Returning to the topic of floor cleanliness for a moment, thanks to Zack's comment and Keith's explanation, mats are out. Looking in the ULINE and Northern Safety catalogs, I've found that each offers simple ($25) and heavy-duty ($55) boot scrapers. I think the heavy-duty ones would be best for Alna mud. We should secure them somehow to prevent movement while in use, and also to prevent theft. (The one at my camp was stolen; admittedly it wasn't nailed down...it was screwed down.) I leave that problem to the inventive folks.

-John

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
July's bill (which arrives in early August) will have the full effect of the new restrooms.  I second Stewart's plea!

I've been looking in the Home Depot catalog, and there are some LED replacements for the ceiling floodlights available for about $20. These take only a fraction of the power needed for conventional floods. Also, I was in a Irving station restroom this afternoon that had a motion detector mounted in the center of the ceiling. I came around the corner from the lavatory area into the stall and urinal area and shazam, there was light. Since we have access to the ceiling (admittedly through insulation), it might be possible to install these.

Steve Smith

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
Perhaps it would be a good idea to try just a relatively short stretch of path with the brown pack and see how easy or hard it is to propel a wheelchair on it, before committing. I admit I have no experience, but just have a hunch that unless the surface is hard, as with concrete or asphalt road pavement, the rolling resistance to a wheel chair is likely to make it tough for some folks (most folks?) to get wheelchairs to the restrooms. I'm guessing the brown pack is way less expensive, but.......

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
I've heard that brown pack, also known as reclaim, can be as good as asphalt.  In fact it is asphalt, just not applied with heat.  Not suitable for highway traffic, but good for driveways and walkways.

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2013, 04:20:39 PM »
Brown pack would still have to be rolled into a hard surface in order for it to work with wheelchairs.
If you know of any in the area....I will be happy to supply a wheelchair for testing purposes.
Keith

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 03, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
  James,  The Annual picnic is next week, will the parking lot next to the restrooms be in use?   Looking forward to a large crowd.  With several weeks of use there is some idea of how much effort it takes to keep the restrooms in top shape.  With the large event it will give some ideas of how to lay out walks between buildings.    Fred L. Kuhns

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 03, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »
The parking lot (what there is of it) will be in use, but probably mainly for volunteers and early visitors.  Everyone else will end up parking the way they used to - on the side of the street.

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 03, 2013, 06:21:15 PM »
Mike and I happened upon an elderly gentleman today who felt the hike from the station platform was too far for his bad knees. He found a unique way to deal with his problem near the machine shop.
KD

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 03, 2013, 07:12:19 PM »
Luckily the kids that were mere feet away in front of bay 4 did not see this. And thinking more of it, if someone would have looked out the boiler room window.....
Mike
Doing way too much to list...