Author Topic: Public Restroom Project - Official Work Thread  (Read 102948 times)

Hansel Fardon

Re: Public Restroom Project - Official Work Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:21 PM »
I think there should be a soundtrack of #10 playing in the bathrooms!
Toot! Toot!

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »
Yesterday, Josh R. wired the hand dryers and both pumps for the pump tank. This required working in the control unit in the mechanical room and on a new jct box on the pole outside.  A crew of 4 dug the sand out from around the tank riser.  It was so wet that the sand kept slumping back into the hole. We thought we would have to add water to the new tank for testing but when we pulled the cover the tank was filled to the top.  There has been over 4" of rain in the last week and the water got into the tank. Note: Once we back fill the tank riser and power feed ditch the water will run down hill past the tank site and we won't have the leak problem.   When the power was turned on, the water alarm sounded off.  The pumps cleared the tank of 300 gallons in just a few minutes.  Zack is happy with how well the equipment works.

The ditch and riser pit should be back filled this weekend if the rain ever stops.  June has had the second highest rainfall amount (for the month of June) on record and rain is predicted through the weekend.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 06:40:54 AM by Stewart Rhine »

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2013, 10:22:45 PM »
Stewart,  I have been out of town for two weeks working on the Cumbres  & Toltec Scenic Railroad.  The news about the restrooms being placed on active duty is just great. Possible to ship a little of the rain out west?  Thanks again to Zack for all his work.  Fred L. Kuhns           

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »
Fred,

I've seen photos of the progress at work session D on the C&TS.  The Friends projects at Antonito and Chama are coming along well. 

Back here in Maine:  Saturday morning Fred Morse and crew built two new benches for the front porch.  The matching benches, (in kit form) were donated by two members for use at the restroom building. 

Stewart   

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
Having now inspected and tested the new rest room building on both sides, Sue and I say "Well Done!" for all the efforts that went into it.  This will be a big plus to attract tour bus traffic.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2013, 06:06:46 AM »
Yesterday -

Zack installed the sanitary containers in the ladies room stalls and installed new stainless steel soap dispensers in both restrooms.  There had been temporary hand soap bottles in both sides, these were the kitchen type and will be used in the Percival house.  The "final" part of the restroom construction job took place when we removed the table saw from the front porch.  The saw is now back in the car shop and whole the front porch is ready to shade and comfort visitors. The porch looks big with all the lumber and tools removed.  Just in time too ... at one point yesterday there were about a dozen people sitting on the new benches and standing under the porch roof.    

The only (structure) job remaining;  this Fall the outside (board and batten) may be sprayed with clear coat to preserve the wood.

Landscaping, especially on the east side may happen later this year.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 06:54:31 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Mark Hendrickson

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2013, 09:48:20 AM »
It would be nice to see some "Final" pictures. 

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2013, 10:11:52 AM »
It would be nice to see some "Final" pictures. 
See pages 1 (exterior) and 2 (interior) of the July/August WW&F Newsletter, available at the end of this month!  :)

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2013, 04:45:57 PM »
Pictures are nice but we hope everyone can get to the museum to visit with us and see the improvements in person.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »
We still have the landscaping to do. Still waiting on the ground to firm up. We will also be transplanting day lilies to the station side of the bathrooms. These are currently in the ditch that will be eventually filled. Other portions of Clarissa's perennials may also be included so they will not be lost during any construction.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2013, 10:09:53 AM »
Last time I checked, the diaper changing stations were not present yet, either.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »
I figure eventually the restrooms will get "stage 2" changes, such as the diaper changing stations. 

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
We also need a walk off mat for the front hallway.  That will help keep the restroom floors clean.  Anyone have a (approx 3X5') new or good used one to donate?

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
Adding a diaper station as a "no. 2" change is somehow appropriate.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2013, 04:01:11 PM »
We also need a walk off mat for the front hallway.  That will help keep the restroom floors clean.  Anyone have a (approx 3X5') new or good used one to donate?
I mentioned that to Zack and he said we couldn't have that because of wheelchair access problems. I'm confused by that. I know that small scatter rugs are a problem in older people's homes because of falls and tripping, but I would think very large mats would be OK. I'd like to be able to say, "But the Maine Turnpike rest areas have mats," but they don't. I think further research is necessary.

-John