Author Topic: Right of Way Mowers  (Read 4960 times)

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Right of Way Mowers
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »
Ken Fleming wanted me to post these pictures for him, so here they are, along with their text.

FOR SALE (Oct 22) PA - Fairmont Model W-54-D-1 Sickle Bar Weed Mower, Car Number 167587, bult new during WWII for the Hampton & Branchville RR in South Carolina. In great operating condition, everything is loose and turns and moves and has been lubricated. Engine should be runable with tune-up and magneto charge. Complete with original tools and spare parts in rear tool box. Also comes with special draw bar that is spring loaded so that the mower car breaks away from the towing motorcar if the cutter bar hits and obstruction. Cutter bars is adjustable to mow between rail or off to side. Cutter bar can also be raised and lowered to mow banks on an angle. Has been stored inside or under tarps since I bought it in 1996. This is the only one I have ever seen, really needs to be in a museum or in loving hands. More photos available. Asking $3500 or best offer. David M. Williamson, 172 Countryside Lane,Johnstown, Pa 15904 (814) 410-6144

This guy is looking for parts for one of these.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Right of Way Mowers
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
Saw pictures like these after I started building Rowmow. They have about the same reach.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dan Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 06:27:39 PM »
   I have to see what you have for mowing the vast area  along the line. I saw a unit that PAR uses to take care of there right of way. I'm sure something could be manufactured to a scale version of their machine, and having a longer reach the models above.

Let me know what you think

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »
Picture is kind of small to tell exactly what it is. Do you have a larger version you could send via e-mail to me?
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dan Shelley

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:54:53 PM »
Send me a link to your email, so I can send you these pictures (3)

If you can put something like this together,  you will cut your volunteers mowing time down by a half the current time.