Author Topic: EBT not operating in 2012!  (Read 9334 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
Re: EBT not operating in 2012!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 01:57:05 AM »
My friends at the Rockhill Trolley Museum tell me they expect a modest bump in patronage this year. People who come to Rockhill Furnace to ride the EBT and find it closed will take a trolley ride instead. However, as word spreads that the trains aren't running, I'm afraid the trolley museum's patronage will take a big hit.

I was fortunate to visit the EBT for the first time in 1966, for the first of the fondly-remembered Winter Spectaculars, and I attended every one from then right up to the final event in 1981. I was a volunteer at the trolley museum during that period, and I was one of the people who gave shop tours for several years. In fact, in the mid-1970's, I was deeply involved in planning the event, coordinating the trolley museum and the railroad operations. In 1981, EBT management decided the cost of bringing in crews and the added wear and tear on the equipment occasioned by cold weather operations did not offset the income derived from the event. In my opinion, the Fall Spectaculars were a pale substitute, even though I completely understand and agree with the reasoning behind the change.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 01:45:40 AM »
I know this topic is old but now that 2012 is over? Are their any chances that the EBT will be running trains this year?
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Matt,

There's a comment on the EBT facebook page that says;

"I've been told it's possible the train could run late in the Summer, nothing is written in stone but it's something to keep our hopes up". 

Stewart

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
Thats good news. I look forward to seeing the EBT reopening again.
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
I have been trying for six days to confirm this rumor, so far with no success. I have been told by two people who are in a position to know that negotiations are on-going, but nothing is definite. Since both were "off the record," I will not say any more. The only two people who matter are not talking to the press or to the public. I want to see the EBT running as much as the next guy, but there are many hurdles to leap before it becomes a done deal. Let's not get too excited just yet.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 03:35:57 AM »
I know this sounds like I'm being "too Diesel," but I wonder if Diesel-only operation would be considered. To my mind, the railroad buildings (especially the shop) and the whole "frozen in time" aura of the place, combined with Rockhill being a few steps away, might be sufficient to make it a "go."

-John

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:40:47 AM »
Bite your tongue, John! Bite your tongue!!