Author Topic: Building new rolling stock for WW&F!  (Read 44806 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Building new rolling stock for WW&F!
« on: December 02, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
After I just read about you guys completly build your caboose from scratch I though it would be cool to rebuild some more frieght cars like another boxcar or tank car would be nice to have a cool photo train on the WW&F!    :o :) ;) :D ;D
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Building new rolling stock for WW&F!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »
If we have enough money to do it!  ::) 8)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:41:31 PM »
We built a flat car a couple of years ago. There are plans for a car for the B&SR SOCONY tank we purchased from MNGRR. Ultimate plans are for this tank to be returned to service as either part of fire supression or an alternate water source for the Steam Engine.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 08:07:06 PM »
We built a flat car a couple of years ago. There are plans for a car for the B&SR SOCONY tank we purchased from MNGRR. Ultimate plans are for this tank to be returned to service as either part of fire supression or an alternate water source for the Steam Engine.
Wait did you purchase the plans to build the tankcar or the actual tankcar itself? ??? ??? ???

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
Matthew, The WW&F purchased just the tank. The tank needs a new bottom. Than museum needs to build the flat car to mount the tank.

dwight winkley

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »
Oh okay! I was thinking about they bought the 2 foot tankcar that the had at MNGM! :o :o :o :o :D ;D ;D ;D

Bill Piche

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 08:51:07 PM »
Matthew,

There were actually 2 tank cars from the B&SR. The WW&F bought the tank that wasn't already mounted on a flatcar. The tank car that the WW&F didn't purchase is still at the MNG museum.

Engineer/Fireman, MNGRR/WW&F/Essex
"Any day with steam is a good day." - me

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 07:18:42 AM »
All it takes is money and manpower.  Without the storage capability we'd rather not build anything too complicated.  And then there's parking, bathrooms....

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »
Another pecie of rolling stock I want to see at the WW&F is some flagers! It would help with all of the snow on the tracks!  :o ::) :D

Ted Miles

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 05:36:17 PM »
Matthew,

It would be nice to build more cars.

but I think that finishing the ones we have would be good also. The W&Q #3 only has hand brakes on one truck and I am sure it had air brakes.

I don't think either of the flat cars have brakes. As the track gets ever closer to the Top Of The Mountain, it would be good to have brakes on something besides the locomotive.

As mentioned above the B&SR tank needs a car under it. I wonder if the Maine Narrow gauge have any spare B&SR freight car trucks?

Ted Miles   

Vincent "Lightning" LeRow

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
I wonder if the Maine Narrow gauge have any spare B&SR freight car trucks?

The MNG has several spare trucks.  Some even have brake rigging and brakes atached.  but i don't know if the MNG will be willing to part with any of them.
A spike saved is a spike earned.

Eric Bolton

• Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »
Matthew,

It would be nice to build more cars.

but I think that finishing the ones we have would be good also. The W&Q #3 only has hand brakes on one truck and I am sure it had air brakes.

I don't think either of the flat cars have brakes. As the track gets ever closer to the Top Of The Mountain, it would be good to have brakes on something besides the locomotive.

As mentioned above the B&SR tank needs a car under it. I wonder if the Maine Narrow gauge have any spare B&SR freight car trucks?

Ted Miles   

The coach never had air brakes on it. It only had vaccum brakes. Both flat cars have hand brakes on them.
Trainmaster/Designated Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers
Pennsylvania Northeastern Railroad

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2008, 07:02:53 PM »
Due to great effort by a few of our members, the only car that does not have a handbrake on it is coach 103. The caboose has handbrakes on both trucks, Flatcar 118, the boxcar, coaches 3 & 8 have handbrakes on the south truck, while Flatcar 126 has a handbrake on the north truck. Hope this clears things up.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 08:45:51 PM »
Since I worked on the brake projects on #8 and #126, I believe the brakes on #126 are on the south end, unless someone turned it around. The brakes on both cars were installed in bay#1.

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 09:48:05 PM »
One of the things that may be holding up construction of additional rolling stock is the question of trucks. Sure, we could use arch bar trucks under passenger cars, but that's not authentic. We have a pair of Jackson & Sharpe trucks awaiting overhaul before they can be used. If used under coach 8, that would free up a pair of arch bar trucks for a new freight car, but then we have to decide whether it would be a flat car for the B&SR tank, a straight flat car or a box car. Decisions, decisions.

At some point, perhaps we should consider building reproduction Jackson & Sharpe trucks. There are a number of coaches at Phillips, Portland and Boothbay that could use that type of truck, which rides better and is much more authentic than arch bar freight cars trucks. If we built several pairs at once, the unit cost would go down. In fact, we could put a pair under our caboose, thus providing another pair of arch bar trucks for yet another freight car. Turner Dairy reefer, anyone?