Author Topic: Work Car 1010 (Crane Car "Ichabod") - Official Work Thread  (Read 51916 times)

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Crane Car Project
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 03:37:14 AM »
 I saw the rail clamps sitting outside the bay 4 a couple months ago I'll look around tomorrow
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:39:16 AM by Brendan Barry »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Crane Car Project
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »
Reviewing some photos I found, I have determined this is going to be more than a simple reassembly, once I have the frame in place. The wheels are goung to make contact with a crossmember if I put them back in the original location. I may have to lengthen the wheel base to get the wheels where they will not hit the crossmember.

This will change quite a few things. The brake rigging for one. The rods aren't going to be long enough.

The one I am wondering about is what will this type of change do to the ability for the steel to hold a capacity load without failing.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

James Patten

• Global Moderator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
Re: Crane Car - Official Work Thread
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 04:03:54 PM »
I'm curious about the stability of the car, with the greatly reduced load bearing surface because of regauging wheels.  Will we be able to use the crane for anything?  Will it even be stable when the crane's in a resting position?

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 04:14:36 PM »
Having used a Fairmont Derrick car in the past, the stability issue will be governed by the strength of the rail clamps, outriggers, and counterweight on the derrick itself.
Moxie Bootlegger

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
Mike, I think additional stiffening of the longitudinal frame will be needed as you lengthen the car; otherwise it might develop a sag or break in the middle.  Truss rods would be an option, too.

A 2-foot gauge crane will definitely need outriggers; the longer the better for stability.  The crane might need an auxiliary flatcar for cribbing, blocks, chains, etc.

The rail clamps will be so close to center of gravity that I don't think their use alone will be of use.

Just my two cents' worth.

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:06 PM »
I assume that the intended applications will influence the design. What are the intended applications?

-John

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 12:17:32 AM »
I started reassembling tonight. Trying to get an idea at just what I could do to clear the wheels. The solution I think I will use is cutting out the lower part of the c-channel and beefing it up using a 6 inch channel between the two beams to reinforce it. Kind of like a fender over the wheel.

As far as lifting. the crane HAD a rating of 2000 pounds. With no out riggers. My outrigger idea is to take the place of the stance the car used to have when it was broad gauge. They will not go beyond the car. The thought is they could set on the ties to provide stability.

John, intended uses. Lifting rail safely with a small crew, 600 lbs per rail, one at a time. Lifting frogs. Switch type, not the hopping kind. Roughly 400 lbs. Various other uses could be found also.

Mike

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 02:03:18 AM »
Mike I looked for the rail clamps Tuesday and they were not where I last saw them. There was to much rain to do alot of searching in the yard.
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Dwight Winkley

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »
1 of the rail clamps had a broken lever. The former owner borrowed 1 rail clamp so he could make some more to repair another crane car. There should be 3 rail clamps left at the museum.

The missing brake control road should be about 6 ft wide as it is mounted crossways between the wheels. It has short 2 " arms at the ends. There is a casting attached to the rod where the brake pedel is bolted on. There should be 3 or 4 piller blocks on the brake rod to mount the rod to the underside of the cars frame.
next time I am at museum I will look around.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »
One of the blocks is missing that attaches to the frame. I have the 2 arms for the end. According to my photos, the only thing that I am missing is the brake rod that has the arm attached to it that goes the the pedal. They have a key way cut in the ends. I will also look for this stuff, as I now know what is missing.

Did some more work tonight. The handles that Dwight suggested may be in the way will be in the way. Easily moved. The slider end will be the hardest, as I need to cut a weld and re weld the brackets back on.

As for the clamps. Seashore has an extra set on the car I photographed. Perhaps we could borrow them to make copies.

And for the future, when I get the crane back together, someone will need to make a crank handle for the winch. I think I took a picture of it, but I can't find it on the computer.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »
Problem.

My solution. 6 Inch Channel has just the right clearance. Note also the relocated hanger for the sliding handle, left side of the wheel in this next photo.

A quick overall shot.

And this is part of the brake rod assembly that is missing.

Mike

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 12:11:18 AM »
As the "destroyer" of the crane car and one who has owned commercial cranes, the rail clamps are a bad idea for 2' trains.
As someone mentioned(Dave Crow?) the C of G is much too narrow.
I would use sliding out riggers capable of an 8' spread. I sketched something up for Jason 4-5 years ago. These were simple square tube and channel steel outriggers. They had round tubes for the footers with holes drilled for various heights. Seeing is better than describing.
Ira

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 12:44:02 AM »
I wouldn't call you a destroyer. Dis-assembler maybe. Thankfully you guys saved what you could, and organized what was removed.

Mike
Mike

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
Mike,

I found the other cast brake rod quide in the shop.  It's next to the key box.  I also found a steel crank about 14" long.  It has a collar with double slots on the shaft side.  Not sure if it's for the crane car as it's a rusty red color.

Stewart

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
Good to know. I'll check with you Saturday about those.
Mike