Author Topic: Alan Pegler has died  (Read 5909 times)

John L Dobson

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
Alan Pegler has died
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
Alan Francis Pegler OBE passed away on Sunday 18 March 2012 after a short illness.  He was 91. Sincere condolences have been extended to his companion, Petrina Derrington, and to his family, by the Chairman of the Festiniog Railway Society on behalf of the membership.

It was Alan's ability to provide the necessary funds to gain control of the Festiniog Railway Company in 1954 that made the restoration of the Railway possible and narrow-gauge railway enthusiasts owe him an immense debt of gratitude for this action. He remained President of the Festiniog Railway Company and the FR Society until his death.

Much of the summer 2012 issue of the FR Magazine will be given over to an appreciation of Alan’s lifetime achievements, and his importance to the FR, and the railway preservation movement in general. As many enthusiasts know, apart from his pivotal role in the saving of the FR, he was also responsible for saving Flying Scotsman from the scrap heap in 1963, and earlier had helped to persuade British Railways to organise special trains for enthusiasts which utilised preserved locomotives, such as the Great Northern Railway 'Atlantics', as motive power.
John L Dobson
Editor, FR Magazine

Pete "Cosmo" Barrington

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Pegler has died
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »
That is so ironic.
I was just reading the write up on the FS visit to Boston in "The RR That Came Out At Night" this past Saturday.
Eerie.

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 09:51:51 PM »
Hi John,

I never had the good fortune to meet Mr. Pegler,  But my very first FR video was the "Heritage Video TrackTapes", which had an extended interview with both him and John Routley.   Both men came across very well during the interview.  Mr. Pegler seemed particularly charming and I am saddened to have missed the acquaintance of a good man.  

His accomplishments will always commend him.

Sincerely,
Glenn Christensen

Bill Sample

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 07:37:59 PM »
A life well lived.  Few have done as much for railway preservation.  It is good that he lived to see the success of the Ffestiniog and the rebirth of the Welsh Highland.  I was fortunate to have visited the Flying Scotsman when he brought it to Boston. MA in 1969 and viewed the train departing Boston as its US tour began.