Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 264709 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2009, 11:47:09 PM »
Here are a few pics of the new Smoke Box. I took the photos with my phone so sorry about the quality (or lack of).
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2009, 11:48:05 PM »
Here is the other photo.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2009, 03:13:48 AM »
Grind 'n' find, dye 'n' spy.

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2009, 06:58:25 PM »
From Kevin's pic I see that the spacer ring for the smokebox instillation is being fitted. How is the inspection of the frame going?

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2010, 12:41:19 AM »
Hello All,

I'm planning another No 9 work day this Saturday, January 16, and tentatively again the following Saturday, January 23 (I'll confirm that next week- perhaps based on interest).

Planned work is focused on the new smokebox- mainly laying out and drilling holes to rivet on the many attachments.  There is also work on the forward frame- though this is somewhat limited until I finish the welded repairs.

The machining on the frame casting is also awaiting those welded repairs- as the fit of the casting to the forward frame relies on the finishing of one of the welded areas.

For those curious- Bill Fortier has been machining pieces of what will eventually be door latches for No 9's firedoor.  The original latches are threaded into the original boiler- the new pieces will have feet, which will fit over studs which are welded to the boiler.  He's been working on these steadily (every weekend basically) and is proving his worth as a machinist.

Additionally- I'll be hyro-testing No 10- which will require some help as well.

I'd appreciate some feedback on who plans to attend- and who'd be interested in the following Saturday.

Thanks,
jason

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
More pics of the goings on in the shop...I've got video of Hans working on No 9's frame, grinding and needle scaling years of grime away...but no still images, sorry!

Meanwhile Bill continued machining parts for No 9's firebox door assembly...

Jason welding on the rear ring of the smokebox...

Tom worked on No 10's valves in preparation for a hydro test...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 04:20:13 PM by Stephen Hussar »

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Trainmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2010, 01:00:41 PM »
Steve's wonderful photos not only document the work being done but inspire the rest of us who were not there last weekend.  The projects are a great example of what the WW&F volunteers can do.  Our mission to run steam is the best way to show people what the original railroad was like.  The shop fulfills the mission too.   Its not just a good place for restoration, it's a great example of what the machine shops at Wiscasset and Phillips were like a century ago.  Some of the technology is newer but much of the work is done as it was back then.   I look forward to seeing engines 9 and 10 being steamed up, as they sit next to each other in the yard.  That will be a great day for the shop crew and every member of the WW&F Railway Museum.   

Hans Brandes

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Steve,

My thanks to you also for taking the time to come up and document this project. As inspiration, I have the painting of #9 on the wharf in Wiscasset hanging at home. Rebuilding a locomotive is a lot of hours doing a lot of dirty jobs. WW&F planned well and the shop there is wonderful to work in. There is space, heat, light, compressed air, gas for the torch, tools. This should not be taken for granted or taken lightly. A good shop opens the doors to being allowed to do this kind of work. The WW&F shop is a realy gem. Yes, it will be a wonderful day when both #9 and #10 can ply the main line.

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2010, 11:41:28 AM »
Hello again,

We will be having another work day this Saturday, January 23, 2010.

I'm hoping to keep the smokebox project moving along- this will be the major focus.  There are several small tasks involved with this that should keep us busy.

If that grows to be self-sufficient I may go back to weld on the frame. 

The hydro on No 10 needs to be done as well. 

Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2010, 12:39:43 AM »
Hi all,

We had a fun day today on No 9- with a 10 man crew working most of the day.  Work focused on the new smokebox, with side efforts on the firedoor latches and hydro-testing No 10.  Good progress was made on all efforts.  No 10 had no troubles with its hydro, the latches are nearly complete, and the smokebox has both front and back rings properly fit.  Both smokebox cinder cleanout castings had their old rivets removed and were prepped for re-installation.  Lastly a platform for mounting the flat-bottomed mag. drill on the round smokebox was made.  The next step will be to drill rivet holes- I haven't counted, but I think we're in the neighborhood of 100 rivets to drive, including remounting the orignal smokebox on the old boiler.  Quick summary of crew: Joe Fox and girlfriend Dawn, Hans Brandes, Jonathan St Mary, Bill Fortier, Leon Weeks, Mike Fox, Paul Crabb, Dave Fletcher, John Robertson, Zack Wyllie and myself.  And- we had everyone busy pretty much all day! 

Fun to have such a busy shop- thought I'd share it.

Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2010, 12:28:30 PM »
Hi all,

I am planning another work day on No 9 this weekend- Sat. Feb. 20, 2010.

I've eluded to this but I just realized I've never really announced it.

We plan on focusing on the smokebox again- finishing the prep on a few pieces, and then drilling holes. 

If there are surplus people there's still work to do on mounting boiler brackets, and I could use some help on the frame.

Hope you can make it!

Jason

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2010, 11:16:02 PM »
Hello,

I'm planning another work day for this coming Saturday, March 20, 2010.  Work will focus on smokebox drilling, boiler bracket mounting, frame grinding, along with some work on the press we're restoring, and perhaps some lathe alignment work. 

We had a good day last Saturday getting started on the press restoration and large lathe alignment. The press will be used for No 9 axle work (and No 11 at some point), and the lathe was needed to locate the eccentric positions on No 9's axle before disassembly.  This was done last weekend.

Lot's of fun-- hope you can make it!

see ya
Jason

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
Jason, is the press you mention above the portable wheel press donated a couple of years ago? If so, have you figured out what parts are missing?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »
Wayne;
I don't know when it was donated a couple of years ago because I has never seen it before Saturday but it is on wheels and a little bigger than a Radio Flyer wagon (but packs a 60 ton punch). We moved it from outside (on 1157) into the new section of Bay 3 on Saturday. Dana and Mike immediately started taking it apart and draining liquids including some oily water. I'm not sure if they determined all that was missing.
Dave

Gordon Cook

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
  • Board Member 2009-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2010, 10:52:35 PM »
The press is a Watson Stillman crank pin press, circa 1910 or so. The gauge on it reads up to 60 tons. We have all the parts for the press itself, and there are two extension arms that must hold the wheel in some fashion. There is no strongback to support the wheel around the pin itself. Jason will be creating that part as well as extending the width to fit around the drivers.
See the attached picture for an older (1902) version.
We found there was plenty of water and ice in the cylinder, along with some corrosion on the internal unfinished walls of the cylinder, but the important areas were rust free, including the 4 /1/2" diameter ram. The pump and check valves were also in pretty good shape.
The main seal on the ram was leather(!), in a "U" shaped cross section, the open end towards the pressure. It was in pretty good shape considering it's age, but we couldn't know if it would seal so we removed it. It is similar in design to a modern hydraulic ram seal, so similar that a replacement of the same dimensions was found in McMaster-Carr and ordered. The seal on the pump was pretty much gone, but from the dimensions of the piston we believe that it can also be replaced pretty easily.
Dana did a yeoman's job of cleaning the junk out of the main hydraulic fluid reservoir, so we hope that once the seals are in and some more cleaning done that it will work as built. Mike tackled the pump and that looked nice and clean.
Jason and Brian took the gauge over to Boothbay add determined that the it could be calibrated.
Steve Z. got in a workout on freeing up the 4 screws that raise and lower the cylinder on it's carriage.
I'll let Jason chime in on the 'enhancements' that he has planned.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:57:38 PM by Gordon Cook »
Gawdon