Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 552957 times)

Nyle Buxton

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2009, 11:44:57 PM »
 While getting my daily recommended supplement of WW&F yesterday, I came across the mention of a "large casting" for #9 being milled in the shop. Today as I was browsing Railway Preservation News, another recommended daily supplement, I came across the same "large casting" with an explanation that it is a frame connector, to tie the front and rear frames together , eliminating stress that used to be placed on the boiler. There was also a nice CAD drawing of the casting.
  What are the chances of getting WW&F's own professional photographer (Stephen Hussar) to get some photos as the work is being performed on this casting ?
  I know that photo's have been taken of #9 as it was disassembled, and then as the frame was being repaired, boiler built, boiler delivered, etc.   Do other photos exist of #9 as the work has been progressing (that I have not seen on this site)?
 A thought....
perhaps these photos and future ones could be put together as a book documenting the rebuilding of #9 from start to finish, with  explanations, drawings , diagrams, explaning the rebuilding process in cronological order. We all hear about locomotives being rebuilt around the country ( very slowly) but most of us don't have access to the real behind -the-scenes work that goes into them.  Just a thought......

Maybe the same could be done for the building of #11.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2009, 06:02:08 AM »
Nyle,

The website does have a page for the #9 project (under the Projects header I think), but I'm slow to update it.  Namely I've been thinking about updating it with the boiler arriving, but I think of it at the wrong time of day, ie when I'm not home sitting in front of my computer.  There are a small number of pictures on the #9 project page.

I did a nearly complete photographic record of the engine before it was disassembled.  I say "nearly" because there were some hard to access places that I should have pictured but didn't, and forgot all about once the engine was apart (such as the "beehive" weld repair on the frame).

Paul Crabb

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
I have to show my ignorance, but what is the contraption on the back end of the firebox at the bottom? In one of the first pictures there is a lever on it. Also wondering if the studs that are on the boiler were welded in place or they were "shot"?

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2009, 06:02:27 AM »
The contraption in the back is the blowdown valve.  I think it's quite a bit larger than the original.

The mudring (around the bottom) was riveted.  There's a few other riveted things. 

Paul Horky

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2009, 09:35:48 AM »
I also noticed the blowdown on the backhead of the new boiler was that the original location or was it installed there for some other reason. Most times blowdowns are placed on a sidesheet usually on the firemans side. With it on the backhead when the valuve is opened to clear the mudring all the sedament and all will shoot out at the truck under the tank which will make a big mess back there. Unless the discharge is plumbed out to the side.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2009, 07:36:02 PM »
The Blowdown is in it's original location. Can be easily piped off to the side after the boiler is installed.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »
This is the big casting which will wrap around the firebox and connect No 9's front and rear frame sections...

Fred L. Kuhns

• Museum Member
  • Hostler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »
   Steve,    The picture of the casting is great.  Look forward to the picture of the casting upon completion of the machine work.  The casting will really increase the strength of the engine frame, also add weight to the engine.       Thanks;   Fred L. Kuhns

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2009, 09:14:59 PM »
Also how much will it cost to finish the rebuild of #9?

I do not think there are any major expenses left, now that the boiler is complete. All it takes is time to machine the last casting, refurbish the cab, and reassemble the locomotive. (There may be other tasks too. Maybe Jason can give us a run down if he has a chance.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2009, 10:48:27 PM »
I am sure there are other people who have better information than I do, but I'll mention a couple of things. As I recall, one of the cylinders is damaged. Depending upon the repair technique used, there might be some additional expense. Also, I do not know what the current state of the bearing blocks is. There might be some additional casting work necessary there. When it comes to reassembly, there is certainly a lot of work to be done. Some of this work involves installing the vacuum braking system, which has a molded rubber diaphragm that probably needs replacement, and installing the various elements of the electrical system and steam distribution system, some of which might require replacement or rebuilding. As each part of the locomotive is reinstalled, there is a good chance that repair or replacement will be required. Thus, while the major expense, the boiler, has been taken care of, I expect that there will be a number, a large number, of small additional expenses discovered as the reassembly process goes along.

Nyle Buxton

• Gandy Dancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
  Stephen, Thanks for another great photo!!  Great to see the progress!!

Having been in touch with Jason I know that one if not both of the cylinders need to be bored and sleeved. I am currently working on building a portable boring machine so that the work on the cylinders can be performed. It will also work on #10 if it's cylinders ever need to be done and also on the future #11 cylinders.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2009, 07:35:30 PM »
The Frame has been flipped since the previous photo so here are some more.

Ed is hiding behind the Cincinnati, working on a pattern

The Steam dome was also installed by Zack today.
Mike

Glenn Christensen

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »
The Steam dome was also installed by Zack today.

Thanks Mike!

Sure looks nice there.

Best Regards,
Glenn

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2009, 07:17:49 PM »
Hello all,

I'm planning a No 9 work day this month, Saturday, November 21.

The work will focus on the boiler and smokebox:

Move smokebox into shop extension.
Remove old, rotten liner from inside smokebox, prepare for replacement liner.
Fit and install new liner, if we can get it by then.
Fit new smokebox ring.  Fit smokebox to boiler.

Also, there are numerous brackets to fit to the boiler- to be fitted around fillet-welded studs. 

No 52's plow is on the same work flat as No 9's smokebox; it be nice to get this in and painted that day since we'll be moving stuff around to get to it anyway. 

I'd like to gauge who'll be there- please send me an email or respond here if you can make it!

Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
More shots from today. Zack was busy again, this time adding the sand dome.

Mike