Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 558061 times)

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #780 on: December 09, 2015, 06:55:02 AM »
An old friend of mine down here in Pennsylvania visited Alice Ramsdell in the early 1980's, and she permitted him to bar No. 9 halfway out of the shed so he could take a photo. I've seen his photos, but I've lost track of him.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: December 11, 2015, 09:47:31 PM »
Years ago, while I was the Curator of the Walker Transportation Collection at the Beverly Historical Society, we met regularly every Wednesday evening in a "workshop" environment. Anyone was welcome to come and do research or volunteer at those sessions.  An elderly woman used to come to some of those sessions. She was sort of an odd person but was greatly interested in trains.  One evening we heard footsteps overhead (the collection was housed in the basement in a totally renovated area) and then they were coming down the stairs.  As God is my witness, it was our friend, and she had with her none other than Alice Ramsdell. I could barely believe it.  She spent over two hours with us that evening, looking at photos of the SR&RL #6, and regaling us with stories of her father's plans for it.  I'd heard the stories of her allowing certain trusted folks to "work on" the engine, and "bar" it out for photos, etc. YANKEE Magazine did a story on her about that period of time. 
   One of our Walker volunteers, Russell Munroe, had been down to her farm at an earlier time and took pictures. He told us that the house and all the property was like a time capsule.  She butchered her own animals and all the other farm chores by herself.  What a remarkable person. After the visit that evening, we never saw her again, but I'll never forget that night as long as I live.  I'm sure she would be thrilled to see what finally has become of "her engine".  (It was rumored she once threatened Nelson Blount with a gun when he tried to bargain the engine away from her -- anyone know if that's true?)
   Richard

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: December 11, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »
Richard,

I'd like to reprint your post in the Jan/Feb 2016 WW&F Newsletter, with your byline of course. Would that be OK?

John McNamara

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: December 11, 2015, 09:55:44 PM »
With regard to an earlier post, I believe there WAS a short piece of track under the locomotive in the shed at Alice's farm. I even remember seeing a  photo which seemed to show about 20 feet of really poor track extending out from the door of the shed.  Can anyone confirm that?
   Richard

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:29 PM »
Sure, John, go ahead and print it. As I say, I'll never forget that night!  Her name still is in the Guest Register at the Walker Collection!
   Richard

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: December 11, 2015, 09:59:32 PM »
Thanks!
John M

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: December 12, 2015, 07:45:56 AM »
Within the last two or three days, I've dug out the August 1983 issue of Trains magazine, in which Peter Rickershauser describes a 1974 weekend visit to the Ramsdell farm, during which he and a friend repaired a short section of track in front of the shed in which No. 9 reposed, then barred the old gal outside so they could repair the track inside the shed. Apparently Alice was so thrilled with their actually showing up and doing the work that she offered them meals and put them up overnight! The piece includes multiple photos of the work underway and two color photos of No. 9, numbered and lettered as Sandy River & Rangely (sic) Lakes No. 6.

Bill Fortier

• Museum Member
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: December 12, 2015, 09:50:24 AM »
Within the last two or three days, I've dug out the August 1983 issue of Trains magazine, in which Peter Rickershauser describes a 1974 weekend visit to the Ramsdell farm, during which he and a friend repaired a short section of track in front of the shed in which No. 9 reposed, then barred the old gal outside so they could repair the track inside the shed. Apparently Alice was so thrilled with their actually showing up and doing the work that she offered them meals and put them up overnight! The piece includes multiple photos of the work underway and two color photos of No. 9, numbered and lettered as Sandy River & Rangely (sic) Lakes No. 6.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: December 12, 2015, 02:07:06 PM »
Thanks for the scans, Bill.

What happened to the box headlight and the "Railroad Crossing" sign leaning against the barn door in the color photo? Do we have those now? I would assume both are ex-WW&F.

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: December 12, 2015, 04:52:10 PM »
The crossing sign is from Weeks Mills and came back with #9.  It is the pattern for our crossing signs.  The original is displayed in the freight house.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: December 12, 2015, 05:58:50 PM »
According to Harry's daughter Mary, Harry started going to visit Alice in mid 1970s, probably before this person did.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: December 12, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »
The ultimate "barn find".  Usually we associate such with old cars, but here's the jackpot!  Imagine the odds of it surviving the WWII scrap drives or just having the shed collapse on top of it later on, exposing it to the elements.  Now let's go find the always elusive sunken locomotives in the many New England lakes that are rumored to exist!
   The only one we know for sure exists is the B&M 3666 in the Piscataqua River at Portsmouth. Now who has lots of money and a crane?
 Richard

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:02 PM »
Thanks, Stewart. I thought the sign looked familiar.

Does anyone know about the box headlight? I'm eager to learn what happened to it, and what its lineage may have been.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: December 12, 2015, 07:07:38 PM »
Some photos from today.

#9 in front of the station, waiting for WMTW to arrive.

The first trip to Alna Center, before the run-around.

The freight trip.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: December 12, 2015, 07:39:51 PM »

Mike
Doing way too much to list...