Author Topic: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread  (Read 552951 times)

Dave Crow

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Re: WW&F No. 9 - Official Work Thread
« Reply #420 on: December 02, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »
Looking at the photos, I'm just thankful I wasn't the person bucking the rivets for No. 10's smokebox; No. 9's smokebox was a squeeze as it was, both for drilling the holes, as well as bucking the rivets.  Right, Wayne and Stephen H?

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 04, 2014, 05:09:34 PM »
Forced perspective, track levels, or whatever, there still is a mighty big difference in size between the two machines. When looking at old photos taken up on the SR&RL, the little Portland engines seem just that. . . little. Compared with the big tender engines especially.  So it seems as if the 0-4-4Ts were not as small as we always have thought them to be.  It will be interesting to see the #9 in service out on the line for a real idea of what they looked like so long ago.

Richard Symmes

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 08, 2014, 08:21:51 AM »
Bill, seeing the two engines together in the same stall, #9 is about 1.5 times the size of #10. The boiler is much larger, wheels bigger, cab taller and a little bigger, and the tank is larger as well. The track height may have a little play in this, but not much. I have an old post card some where of 9 & 10 side by side, and 9 makes the 10 look like a little kid that hasn't hit her growth spurt yet.

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 14, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »
United Timber Bridge Workers, Local 1894, Alna, ME

Stephen Piwowarski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 13, 2015, 10:26:35 PM »
Hi All,

Did #9 have snifting valves? I can only recall seeing them on piston equipped/superheated engines so I guess the larger question is whether slide valve engines incorporated them. I recently read something that suggested engines with balanced valves might have them (I think it was Meyer's Modern Locomotive Construction) but what dictates the choice to apply or not apply them to a locomotive?

Thanks,
Steve

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2015, 07:16:27 AM »
Hi All,

Did #9 have snifting valves? I can only recall seeing them on piston equipped/superheated engines so I guess the larger question is whether slide valve engines incorporated them. I recently read something that suggested engines with balanced valves might have them (I think it was Meyer's Modern Locomotive Construction) but what dictates the choice to apply or not apply them to a locomotive?

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, Drifting valves (Snifting valve  is the British terminology)  were used on saturated steam locomotives as well as superheated and piston valve locomotives. All locomotives create a vacuum in the cylinders when drifting. (moving without the throttle open) With a partial vacuum in the cylinders you draw cinders from the smoke box down into the cylinders. In just a quick look in Two Feet to Tidewater is looks like the WW&F had drifting valves on just about everything. Whether No.9 had them or not I can't say...but I suspect it probably did.
Keith

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2015, 07:49:08 AM »
As I recall there are no ports available on the steam chest for this purpose- but I haven't studied closely yet.  They've been on my list to study, decide, then make if necessary.

My preference would be to have them.  No 7 had them- my thought was to make a pattern to match BLW's drifting valve, then apply it to 9, 10 and someday 11.

See ya
Jason

Keith Taylor

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 14, 2015, 10:29:54 AM »
Some steam locomotives had a single drifting valve located on the steam header in the smoke box and not on the steam chests.
The vent for the drifting valve would then be located on the top of the smoke box above the steam header.

Keith

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 21, 2015, 01:27:55 AM »
Number 9 update.

Eric has been working on the linkage for the cylinder cocks. The engineer's side handrail doubles as part of the linkage.

Handle inside the cab that rotates the handrail.

Handrail running down the boiler the curved rod at the front runs down to the linkge under the cylinder casting.

Linkage under the cylinder saddle. The bent levers under the cylinders will attach to the cylinder cocks.

The steel plating for the cab deck is being worked on. The water tank's outline is chalked on the deck.

The two pieces of steel screwed into the deck are original to when the engine was in Wiscasset originally. The little doglegs that stick out to the deck edges are in the doorways into the cab. The pieces that fill in the middle and go under the tank were eaten away by the reaction with the coal dust over the years. A template was made from plywood and a new piece of quarter inch plate has been cut out for the rest of the floor.

New piece of steel cut out for the floor sitting on the green cart. The plywood template is in the background.

Jason and Jonthan have been working on the cross head guides. I know tram wires had to be run and alot of machine work done to the guides. Jason can explain.

Engineer's side on the engine.

Fireman's side sitting on the work bench.

The pistons are back from machining In Pennsylvania

Wes has started to insulate the boiler. The black piece hanging is a plastic template for the actual boiler jacket.

There has also been alot of work going on involving the vacuum brake system on the engine. There was a successful test on a vaccum cylinder with a newly reproduced diaphragm. I forgot take a picture but I will get one tomorrrow.

Joe Fox

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 02, 2015, 12:02:36 PM »
Very exciting to see the progress on #9. It will be really amazing to see #9, 10, & 11 one day steamed up together in the yard and near the roundhouse together.

Rick Rowlands

• Museum Member
  • Brakeman
    • View Profile
    • Youngstown Steel Heritage Website
« Reply #430 on: February 05, 2015, 12:17:53 AM »
It appears that the backhead has been painted.  What was used as a coating? 
Rick Rowlands
Chief Engineer
J&L Narrow Gauge Railroad
Youngstown, OH

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 05, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »
Graphite and linseed oil, just like the smokebox.  Eric did that during the first fire up.  Looks a nice dark grey in person.

Also- no 9 decidedly did not have drifting valves.  None of the 2-foot PoCo locos did when new.  The WW&F had retrofitted 2&3 to include them later in life.  There's no provision on the steam pipe header either- that seems to me to be a larger engine application.

See ya
Jason

John McNamara

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 05, 2015, 10:21:26 AM »
Graphite and linseed oil, just like the smokebox.
I'm glad to see that linseed oil is involved. Harry would be proud. ;)
-John

Brendan Barry

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 07, 2015, 09:43:34 PM »
Number 9 update

One of the vacuum pot/cylinders for the brakes with a new reproduction diaphragms.The new diaphragm is the shiny black part.

The pistons have been installed and piston rings have been ordered and should arrive shortly. The pistons are bolted together in segments so the rings can be installed with the pistons in the cylinders.

Work continues on the cylinder cocks and linkage.

The cross heads have been fitted and the main rods installed. Measurements are being taken to machine the rod bearings.

The steam pipe for blowing out the cinder pocket has been installed.

Cinder pocket

In operation the crew would open this access hole into the smoke box and push all the cinders into the pocket.

The cinder pocket viewed through the access hole.

Cinder pocket viewed through the smoke box door. The blast pipe is in the background.

The wheel loosens the screw clamp that holds the cover on the end of the cinder pocket.

Once the pockets open you open the steam valve [red handle] on the boiler and blower the cinder pocket out and any other cinders you push down in the pocket.

Philip Marshall

• Museum Member
  • Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 08, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
Thank you for the great photos, Brendan! I think I understand for the first time how the cinder pocket is supposed to work. (That little wheel under the smokeboxes of the various Portland Co. Forneys had always been a mystery to me!)