Author Topic: Restoration of SD Warren #2  (Read 39219 times)

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Restoration of SD Warren #2
« on: February 21, 2012, 03:40:37 PM »
I heard they are restoring one of their 2 Baldwin Steamers to operating condition. How is the restoration going on that?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:35:18 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Matthew Gustafson

• Engineer
    • View Profile
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaj5Rrtw948oLXGLaqgUmDA
Re: Boothbay New Steam Engine Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 03:07:21 PM »
Does anybody here have any news on the progress of this restoration project? http://www.railwayvillage.org/sdwarrenloco-boo.html
Steam Department Volunteer at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 09:22:20 AM »
"Down Low" or not, there must be SOMETHING to report??

How about the "Low Down"?

Ron Ginger

• Museum Member
  • Flagman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:16:09 AM »
Unfortunately that project kind of died.

There were 5 or 6 volunteers that started it, with the usual great enthusiasm of starting a new project. It got just about totally torn down, then hit the point where only Brian could weld on the frame. Other work came along and this project got shoved to the back of the shop.

My big fear is that parts kind of got scattered around, and only Brian knows where and what they are. In another couple years it will all be just junk scattered around the shop.

Richard "Steam" Symmes

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 10:36:09 AM »
That's disappointing to hear, but also seems to be fairly typical of many such projects.  Lots of piss and vinegar to start out, but no real plan.  Then, later on, trying to restart it is nearly impossible, for many reasons, including the "scattered parts" syndrome.

So far, the WW&F Museum seems to have avoided this sort of thing. May they continue to do so.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
The Tom E. Dailey Foundation has awarded Boothbay some money towards the restoration of SD Warren #2...

From RYPN:

Boothbay Railway Village, Boothbay,ME - $ 7,500

This 50-year-old group requested funding to restore their 1895 S. D. Warren Baldwin locomotive #2. Originally purchased by the S. D. Warren Paper Mill Company, the locomotive replaced horses and wagons in the mill yard to haul pulpwood and coal. A daily workhorse, during its heyday, the locomotive helped S. D. Warren produce more than 35,000 pounds of paper a day. In 1974, the mill complex was added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Cumberland Mills Historic District. The locomotive restoration project, estimated at $87,000, includes building a new boiler, repairs to the iron frame, all new bearings, a new cab, and a new saddle tank. The application included a project plan and budget and numerous photographs of the work to be done. The group’s mission is to conserve and display authentic Maine rail history artifacts from the mid-19th to the mid-20th centuries. The 30-acre village includes two dozen buildings many of which are filled with artifacts of Maine’s railroading history. They welcome more than 25,000 visitors annually.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

Eric Schade

• Operating Volunteers
  • Switchman
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of SD Warren #2
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
Hey, congratulations are due to our freinds at the Boothbay Railway....they have fired up the SD Warren engine and tested her out!   The little saddle tanker will be a joy to see finished in a very short time now!
Eric Schade, Phippsburg, Maine

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
This evening the Railway Village held a member and donor picnic, and gave SD Warren #2's first passenger run.  The first public roll out will be Labor Day Weekend.  I photographed the first run and took the second.

First run, coming around the bend.

After the run.

John Scott

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »
Thanks for the pics. A nice-looking restoration. A silly whistle, though - dangerous if it were to snap off!

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 09:30:23 AM »
Nice photos, James.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2018, 02:16:17 PM »
A loud whistle too.  I doubt it was on the engine originally. 

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »
My understanding (based on something I recall reading somewhere) was that the whistle on the locomotive was from one of the Maine two-footers, and saved by the same gentleman who saved the two S.D. Warren engines and got them to Boothbay Railway Village. His daughter later provided the whistle, which S.D. Warren #2 now wears in that person's memory.

(Hopefully someone else can fill in the details.)

In that light, I think it is highly appropriate that the locomotive carry that whistle (although, admittedly, I have yet to see/hear it myself.)
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 04:46:40 PM »
Let's put it this way - the bell sounds very tinkly, appropriate for the engine's size.  The whistle sounds like Monson 3's or Bridgton 7's whistle - like a much bigger engine.  It doesn't "sound" appropriate to the size.

That's the only negative critique for this engine.  It looks like it was a beautiful restoration job.  The engine was taken south (New Jersey maybe) after SD Warren removed it and was turned into a gas critter.  Boothbay reversed that.  I don't know if they needed a new boiler or not.  I noticed that the other SD Warren engine (under the canopy at the top of the hill) you can still see the drive chain underneath.

Ed Lecuyer

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
    • wwfry.org
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 06:11:31 PM »
I don't know if they needed a new boiler or not.

Yes, SD Warren #2 got a new boiler.
Ed Lecuyer
Moderator, WW&F Forum