Author Topic: Albion Day 2011  (Read 4072 times)

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Albion Day 2011
« on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:40 PM »
All;
It's time to start thinking about the 2011 Albion Day which will be held on Saturday, November 5, 2011. I spoke to both Carl and Phil today. I know many of you will be disappointed but Phil informed me that Carl has left the rail completely alone this year so there won't be much track work to be done. Phil says he has plenty of carpentry work for us to do. The second floor ceiling is only about half done and the stair tower has footings put in. It also has some plumb bobs hanging. Phil will muck about looking for more wood.
Phil said he would put some thought into what needs doing and will get back to me. There is a local Boy Scout who is working towards his Eagle badge who has taken on the grounds care so i don't think there will be any weed whacking. I'll post more when I hear from Phil.
As always, lunch will be served at some point and Carl will tell his moose meat story (not to be confused with Dana's moose callaire epic). If you plan on joining us please post here so I can give Phil a count. Bring your carpentry tools.
Dave

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Day 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »
Unless duty calls, count me in. Regardless of what Carl hasn't touched, there are some ties that should be replaced on the south end. Maybe just enough to keep the rails together. Some action should be taken before Carl does something like before.

We can also plan on jacking and hand tamping a low spot.

No tractor needed this time unless he really wants me to play.

Always plenty to do.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
Just a reminder that Albion Day is Saturday November 5, 2011. Don't forget to wear your blaze orange as it's hunting season. It should be sunny and hit 46 degrees in the Greater Albion Metropolitan Area on Saturday. For those of you who have never been and don't know the way, be at Sheepscot at about 7:30 AM to catch a ride or follow one if us. And if you've never been, it's always a fun day with lots of laughs and Maine humor.
I hope to see many of you there.
Dave

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »
What? No Albion Day report?

Dave Buczkowski

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 01:39:29 PM »
Sorry Wayne, I spent yesterday cleaning up trees and branches from the storm a week ago instead of posting. Anyway, attendance at Albion Day was light but enthusiastic. It may have been light because I wasn't able to post that there would be a lot of activities taking place. It certainly wasn't because of the weather which was outstanding. Mike Fox, Steve Z and myself left Sheepscot about 8:15 AM bound for Albion. Carl and Phil were waiting for us when we arrived with coffee and homemade donuts that were still warm. After surveying what had been done (and not done) since our last visit we commenced installing tongue and groove beadboard on the second floor ceiling. The ceiling had been started 3 or 4 years ago by Ed G, my daughter, her friend and myself but went unfinished due to poor quality materials which slowed work down and other work being done. Carl upgraded us to #4 quality boards... We finished installing the ceiling before we left for the day. Now you can really see out out of square the room is. It will take a wide piece of quarter round to hide one corner's gap.
Of note was the feast that Phil and his wife provided, there was food for a small army. There was homebaked bread and at least 5 different desserts. If there had been easy chairs we would have napped after lunch.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
A very satisfying lunch. Too bad no one else had joined us to enjoy it.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...