Author Topic: Work Car 1009 ("ROWMOW1") - Official Work Thread  (Read 81679 times)

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
Work Car 1009 ("ROWMOW1") - Official Work Thread
« on: September 05, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
It's official. I have finally started work on the car. I have been designing it in my head and finally picked up the wood to start the frame.

The wheelsets are from a donation during the Annual Picnic. I have taken pictures and studied different photos trying to find out if the frame that was on the wheels was an original hand crank car and I have determined they are not. The wheels are smaller than hand car size and the frame is in the wrong location. The hand cranks had frames on the outside of the wheels and this was on the inside.

I also had slid the mower into place to get an idea if I was headed in the right direction

I carefully removed the old wooden frame from the axles, unfortunately breaking 2 bolts. I set the frame aside, and will return it to the museum for safe storage for future reference. After the frame removal, I inspected the wheelsets. Interesting grease cups.

One thing that puzzles me about the grease cups. When the frame is above the axle, the cup is pointing down away from the axle.

Lastly, I am making the new frame 2 feet longer. I cut some handles into the frame members for (hopefully it's not too heavy!) turning the car to mow the other side of the tracks. Should be easily done on a crossing.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:03:12 PM by Ed Lecuyer »
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: ROWMOW1 (Mower Car) - Official Work Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
Are you sure the frame is not upside down?
That would put the grease cups on top and have an underslung frame.

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
Looking at the photos; the mower gear, drives, and u-joints look a lot like they came off several old Bolen's tractor mower decks.  If that's the case, PM me - I may be able to help.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 10:23:16 PM »
Ira,
That would be possible but the frame would be all wrong. There appears to have been some type of deck or something on the top of it nailed to it. Appears to have been 1 inch thick material due to the amount of nail sticking out of the frame.

John,
  Close. Actually a Cub Cadet mower. Bolens parts may work. I'll PM you with my idea when I get a second.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:26:24 PM by Mike Fox »
Mike

Henry Stahle

• Museum Member
  • Engine Wiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
Do you know any of the history of this mower car?  What rail line was it used on?
What supplied the power to run the side bar cutter?  I can see a chain sprocket on the rear axle which suggests that the car was driven by some motor or that the movement of the car drove the cutter.
The restoration of this car looks like a really fun project.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 04:31:06 PM »
The mower part of the car is a brand new creation by Mike.  The wheels and frames that he showed was donated by one of our members, nobody knows for certain where it came from.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:30:57 PM »
The lower frame has been completed. I wound up with a 55 inch center to center on the axles. I have some regular grease fittings to install to replace the cups, then onto the frame which will be the carrier for the mower.
Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:02 PM »
ROWMOW 1 is creeping along. A couple hours this weekend got me to the mounting of the mower. I got everything off the ground and the car didn't tip over. More planning and figuring needed. Hope to freshen up the paint on the mower portion this weekend if I can get it ready this week.

Mike
Mike

Glenn Byron

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »
Was wandering around a wonderful site called Yesterday's Tractors and found the ideal right of way mower.  Take a peek.
http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gallery/photo_pic.cgi?pic=http;//www.tractorshed.com/gallery/tphotos/a136266.jpg&firstrec=736&lastrec=751&Parameter=&mode=All&what=tphotos     It is called a 1965 Slope Runner.  Be sure to read the attached comments.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 07:55:11 PM »
Mike

John Kokas

• Museum Member
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
There you go.  Just what we need for all the uneven slopes.  Just have to have a chainsaw party to get all the stumps cut to ground level.
Moxie Bootlegger

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:11:26 PM »
Rowmow 1 is still gradually progressing. It still doesn't look like much, but I am getting closer every hour I put into it. I am thinking there will need to be some tweaking once we get to using it.

I am ready to mount the winch and try lifting the mower. Then I can go on to the pulleys and shafts.

I have been looking for a cheap horizontal shaft motor. I am not trusting the one I picked up last year. I still don't have that running yet.

I'll add some photos soon. I haven't taken any yet but should.

Mike

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
Rowmow 1 is starting to take shape. In the few short hours I have had time to work on it in the last month, I have mounted the mower and made a lift mechanism to raise the head to clear trackside obstructions, like switches and crossings.

When in the raised position, the mower head is 3 inches above the rail. I have yet to find out how far it will go down. I will have to play with it some more.

Here are some photos I took today.

This last one is with the head in the raised position
Mike

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
Rubve Goldberg would be proud.

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
Pillow Block bearings arrived today. These will be used to mount the pulleys and shafts. This week I hope.
Mike