Author Topic: Fall Work Weekend 2011  (Read 23749 times)

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
Fall Work Weekend 2011
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »
The Fall Work Weekend is just around the corner (10/7 -10) and some plans are already in the works.  We will be extending the mainline northward by about 210 feet.  If there is time we will do some mainline maintenance and possibly extend the new siding.  I'm sure there will be other non-track projects going on as well.

Ira Schreiber

• Museum Member
  • Dispatcher
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fall Work Weekend 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 04:08:29 PM »
Does 210' put us to TOM or the TOM switch?

Ira

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »
210' puts us to the end of our property, and onto a flat spot of track so that we're not starting on a heavy grade.  We're still some distance away from the TOM switch.

Bruce Mowbray

• Gandy Dancer
  • Just Another Day On The Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:46:14 AM »
I'll be up for the fall work weekend. I should have the pistons and piston rods for #9 done by then. Ed G is coming by this weekend (storm warnings aside) to help get the VERY tight bolts out so that I can remove the rings and machine the pistons down to match the new bores. Jason, Have some stuff ready for me to machine while I'm there. I'll be happy to but some muscle on a shovel if needed.

See you in October!!

Bruce
Bruce Mowbray
Springville, PA

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:58:39 PM »
I've made my flight arrangements to be up for Fall Work Weekend, unless Continental cancels it, like they did last spring. Looking forward to getting some work time in at the museum.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

James Patten

• Administrator
  • Superintendent
  • Loco for 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:21:51 PM »
The Columbus Day Weekend is not only the world-reknowned WW&F Fall Work Weekend, but the less well known Damariscotta Pumpkin Fest and Regatta.  There's a parade, display of carved and painted pumpkins all around Damariscotta downtown, and the floating pumpkin race.

More the point of this discussion, at the Pumpkinfest on Saturday and Sunday there's an opportunity for non-profits to have an informational table.  The WW&F needs one or more volunteers for Saturday; Steve Z has offered to do Sunday but if someone wants to do Sunday as well he'll give it up.  The idea is to pass out our brochures, we can also sell things if we want - but the point is, exposure and getting our name out.

If there's any interest, please see Steve Z this weekend.  I think the hours are Saturday 9 - 1, and Sunday 9 - 12.

Jeff Schumaker

• Museum Member
  • Inspector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
Flying into Manchester tomorrow. I hope to be at the museum on Friday, around 7 am.

Jeff S.
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a moose trout out of my hat.

Craig "Red" Heun

• Museum Member
  • Baggageman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:50:24 PM »
Hey All

Great to have been at WW&F again...wish my job would allow me to be there more....great weather, great job and great people!

Thanks

Red
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:52:10 PM by Craig "Red" Heun »

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:57:47 PM »
2 days into it and Dana is still smiling. All is going well. Track was laid Friday and ballasted Saturday. Plans are to Tamp Sunday and possibly Monday if needed.

Work on the wood items of the TCDA Car continues as well as some #9 work.

Everyone enjoyed a Moose Story and some music Saturday night after supper.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Stewart "Start" Rhine

• Museum Member
  • Superintendent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »
Things started Thursday, Oct. 6th when Gordon and Jonathan steamed up #10 and other volunteers prepared the museum for a private charter.  Preparations included cleaning the shop extension and setting up a tent out front for a dining area.  Part of bay 3 was used for food service.  The charter was for the Wiscasset Area Chamber of Commerce and about 50 visitors came to Sheepscot for an evening train excursion, museum tour and catered food.  The business and community leaders were toured through the museum by President Steve Zuppa, Fred Morse and other members.  The guests complimented us on our hospitality and said they had a wonderful evening, many said they would be back.  

Thursday's event prep got things off the ground for Friday's work because #10 was already hot, the tent was ready for hungry volunteers and bay 3 was cleared to become a car part construction area for the dairy car.  As Mike said, all the track was laid friday and ballasted on Saturday. Dana will report on the work.  Other projects included completing the shingle work on the house where the dog house was added and stripping bad clap boards from the south end of Sheepscot station. Another crew spent most of the weekend building new car components for the dairy car in bay 3.  Engine 10 has a new whistle thanks to the craftsmanship of Bernie Perch.  The locomotive now marches through grade crossings with authority.

Friday evening a special freight was run to AC for a night photo shoot by Stephen Hussar.  The 3 hour shoot produced some beautiful photographs that showcase the museum's equipment and how the members re-create narrow gauge history.  Stephens photographs will be used in WW&F publications and other media to promote the museum.

A special award ceremony was held Saturday evening during supper.  This year marks the 15th Fall Work Weekend and the museum gave award pins to members who were at the first Fall Work Weekend in 1997.  Honorees in attendance were: Zack Wyllie, Fred Morse, Dana Deering, Stewart Rhine, James Patten and Marcel Levesque.  Each member spoke of his memories from that time in the museum's growth.  Jason Lamontagne, John McNamara and John Bradbury were not present but later received the special locomotive #9 pins designed by Cindy Rhine.  

Sunday saw much work on #9's frame by Rick Sisson, Bernie Perch and Wayne Laepple.  The track crew got right to work jacking and tamping the 500' of track at EoT.  Big Joe operated well afer Mike Fox spent a good part of Saturday making repairs to the lift mechanism.  The track center has been tamped all the way to EoT and the outside will be done Monday.  The new track looks great!

Stewart
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:48:06 PM by Stewart Rhine »

Jason M Lamontagne

• Operating Volunteers
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »
Bernie Perch also brought up the second drive wheel center pattern for No 11- another beautiful piece of craftsmanship.  I think this detail slipped by most this weekend- we'll try to get some detail shots up here. 

Brendan Berry gave us a new power hack saw- and made some parts to get it going- very nice rig.  With his welder out- he also welded some tow hitches for Mike Fox's mower car.

see ya
Jason

Mike Fox

• Museum Member
  • Empire Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »
I am very impressed in how just a few short years, we have turned the track work weekend into a work weekend. So many projects getting worked on at the same time. Something for every one of every talent or ability. This continues to be a great place to be part of.
Mike
Doing way too much to list...

Dana Deering

• Museum Member
  • Fireman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
Hi Everyone!

I have to say that the 2011 Fall Work Weekend was one of the best.  Everything went smoothly and we reached our goal of getting the track to the next property line and in service.  It never would happen without the dedicated, hard working folks who show up year after year to put their "shoulders to the wheel".  Thank you all.
     Here's a summary of the track work:  On Friday morning with the thermometer reading in the 20's we began laying out ties and rail for the 240 foot extension of track that would bring us to the line.  By the end of the day the track was completely spiked down and ready for ballast.  On Saturday a large crew rough lined the new track and then put down about ten carloads of stone and had the entire section ready for surfacing, leveling, and tamping.  On Sunday we surfaced and leveled track beginning about 600 feet from the new end of track and by the end of the day we had a little less than 200 feet left to tamp.  The entire section had been surfaced and leveled and all but the last bit had been given a final alignment and the ballast dressed.  On Monday a smaller crew completed the tamping and ballast dressing and the track was entirely in service before noon.  We had a few minor issues with the tamper but it worked great overall. The weather couldn't have been better and the comeraderie was great, as always.  THANK YOU to everyone who lent a hand.
     I t was fun to see the beehive of activity at Sheepscot when we came down for lunch each day.  There was a lot going on and I'll let others fill in those details.  A very good time!

Wayne Laepple

• Museum Member
  • Yardmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »
In addition to Bernie Perch, Rick Sisson and me, John Kokas was involved in the iron-mongering necessary to make two braces for the frame of No. 9. I also wanted to mention that Bernie and I cleaned and checked out the Sunbeam turbo-generator for No. 9, getting it to run and generate 32 volts DC. Now, if someone can come up with a return spring for its governor, it will be ready for installation on the boiler.

It was a great weekend in all respects.

Stephen Hussar

• Museum Member
  • Conductor
  • Life Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »
a few images from this past weekend...in no particular order (...more to come)

\